tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
All,

In re-fitting the exhaust (don't waste your time until the lower cowl is on), it appears the exhaust is very close to three things (cowl, nosegear, and firewall/fuse bottom). I have a few questions on fitment:

1) Is it generally preferrable to cheat it closer to one thing or the other? Or, should it generally be centered between the pieces?
2) What minimum clearance is needed between the fuse/firewall to prevent it from banging during engine startup?
3) Minimum cowl clearance?

The exhaust instructions say 0.75 from all things, but that is not physically possible. I'm trying to assess what is optimal in that regard. For reference, it is a Sam James cowl, but I am not sure that it matters in this case.

Thanks,
Scott
7A Finishing

Jay,
Had the same problem on a recently finished 8A.:( I split the difference between the motor mount tubes and the botton of the fuselage, this resulted in no more than .50" clearance in either direction. I did wrap the lower portion of the exhaust pipes with high temp exhaust tape to provide some protection to both the mount and the pipes. Will be interested to hear other comments.
Dick