jjconstant

Well Known Member
In trying to ensure that there is no contact between the exhaust pipes and either the engine mount or the cowl I decided to rotate the pipes to a better geometry. This meant redoing the rubber tube exhaust hangers. There are a bear to get off after they've been heated and in the process of repositioning the exhaust to get better access I moved it to the point where the ball joint was at its maximum travel. I didn't realize it but this allows part of the joint to gape and with surprisingly little extra (inadvertant) force, the ball joint separated.:eek: Surprised the heck out of me!

I removed the exhaust from #1 and #3 cylinders, placed it on the floor and took the socket part of the exhaust that had become dislocated and pushed it back over the ball part.

It feels firm but I need to know whether it is junk or whether it's usable after it has been apart and back together again.

Any experience with this out there? I will call or email Vetterman on Monday, but if this is a non-issue or a BIG DEAL do not fly issue it would be good to know now.

Thanks

Jeremy Constant

I had the same thing happen. Just pushed it together and installed it. I did makes sure there were no cracks or deformities. I assumed they were pushed together at assembly. I hope you don't find out this is a bad thing from Vetterman. I expect my first flight this month.

Should be fine. FYI, you should treat these joints with Mink oil or the equivalent to keep them freely moving. Problems start happening when they get too tight and/or freeze up.