RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am working on my firewall forward stuff and in fitting the Vetterman Cross over exhaust I see that the pipe cross in from of the oil sump and fairly close.

It seems the exhaust pipes right in front of the sump would heat up the oil in the sump to a fairly high temperate. The oil cooler can only take so much heat out of the oil, I have not seen anyone do this but would it be a good idea to make a heat shield to go between the cross over pipes and the sump? Is there such a thing as too many heat shields?

The other thing is heating of the fuel servo, with FI you want the fuel to stay as cool as possible, seems the sump would transfer heat to the fuel servo. Just things I am thinking about. I know many have issues with high oil temperatures and wonder if there is any correlation with aircraft type, exhaust system or other parts of the configuration that may add to the high temperature.

Thanks for any insights.

Cheers.

Yep

Mike, some of the installations I've seen have a piece of 1/2" UHMW between the servo and the sump for that reason....easy enough to make.

Best,

oil temp

I flew my first 0 360 parallel valve Pitts about 300 hours with the factory exhaust and then switched to a crossover. I did not see any significant difference in oil temps between the two systems.