LAMPSguy

Well Known Member
I just got my tools from Cleaveland. I know it has been said before, but those are some small, expensive boxes!

I consider myself fairly mechanically adept, but there were some tools that I just had to stare at! Where do you start? I want to know how to properly set up the tools (countersink, etc) before I start on anything. Plan on reading aircraft structural technician before bed.

Have fun Nick. Getting everything ready is part of the fun. Go visit a builder near you and that will make all the difference. With the 14, you get right into the meat building the wings. That will be fun! Good luck with your project. I sat in the 14 a couple weeks ago at Vans and it is REAL nice. The best is how easy it is to get in and out. I would copy their paint too. I really liked the look of the paint on their 14.

There's nothing like a little practice before starting out on actual aircraft parts. I got one of Vans toolbox kits. By the time you finish that, you'll have a pretty good idea of what you're doing with all those wonderful tools. Have fun!

Couch

Unfortunately I have parts of a huge sectional couch in my garage where the compressor needs to go :(
I won't fit in this house.

I feel a lot the same way! Every time I stick my nose in the garage I go through a bunch of emotions. Althought things have calmed down a bit now after having emp kit for over a month.
I thought I was doing everything right (how many times this will prove wrong?):)
- prepared workshop
- orderd tools
- ordered kit

It turned out I was not even close with organizing my shop. So I'm still going through junk and stuff. Still need to build a second workbench, unpack and hook up compressor... Wondering now what else will turn out.

And another thing - I'm totally intimidated with things people write here "decided to install this in such and such way" or "decided this thing would be much better than the other", etc. I'm like, how do you all know this!? How do you make all these great decisions? I hope I will be able to make them too! Very exciting and very scary!
But it's all good!

Oh, and I also have this crazy idea of writing my own build log solution, sort of like KitLog only better, cleaner, richer on features... Talk about OCD or ADD or whatever it is called :eek:

Oh, man, you guys are in for the ride of your life. I remember being there so many times. In the early days, I would make the hour commute to work in the morning and wonder how I got to my desk, I didn't remember any of the traffic or pain, because there was an aircraft under construction in my head.
Over 7yrs since starting and 5yrs since flying, 200+ hrs/yr, it changes life as we know it. So far as I can tell, it doesn't end. This evening, we are on the cusp of acquiring our second hangar for primary operations.
Build on! (but keep your day job)

Last edited:
It's normal.

Yuri, it is a huge undertaking to build an airplane but don't get intimidated by it.

Visit as many other builders as you can and attend fly-ins and EAA gatherings. Absorb everything you can and ask questions that pertain to your circumstances. It doesn't matter whether they're building a -4, -6 or -10...the rivets get driven the same way and you are so fortunate in that you're going "Experimental". This allows you to customize your airplane without any FAA authorizations!

Best,