Dan_E_Root

I've been mucking about with my RV8A for a little more than three years. Paul Dye and I started about the same time, and we were on pace to finish within a month of each other. Now he's flyin' but I'm still readin' about it! I was ready to send in the certification papers last spring about this time, as I've been within a day or two of being ready for inspection. Due to some rather serious family health problems I've had to take a very long breaks. Everyone is much better now, so I'll be spending more time at my hangar and zero time at the hospital.

Finally, yesterday I pulled my 8A out of the hangar to wipe her down, pump up a low tire, and run the engine for a few minutes. What with that little bit of time with "the other woman", having read Dave's fresh first flight report, and the excellent play by play report posted a couple of weeks ago, my exitement level is building.

Dave's comment about the RV grin, his tension level and resulting excitement
reminded me of my own first SCUBA dive. I went through a forty minute tank in about twenty! Breathing under water was odd but exciting, and I kept popping up to the surface to catch my breath and composure. I expect my own first flight will be even better than my first dive.

Enough rambling. My brand new Mattituck 0-360 with a marvel carb and standard ignition wouldn't fire. The starter would turn it, there's fuel in the tanks, the auxiliary pump was clicking along, and yes, it was running before. It has a total of 45 minutes on it.

Before I get too far into my own ideas about how to fix this, can someone suggestion where to look first? Is there a typical or common problem?

Thanks for the help, and congrats to the first flyers.

Wishin' it was me,

Dan

The simple things..

Good for you Dan! Almost flying..

Always check the easiest and simple things first. Are you 100 % sure the mags are producing spark? You can dangle the "hot" end of a lead near the case and crank the engine and visually ascertain that there is indeed spark. Mags on? Fuel valve on?

Your carb may be empty and the float bowl needs a fillup which should have happened unless the fuel valve was off. Do you have a primer system to get some fuel in a cylinder? Be sure to barely open the throttle to get a higher velocity airflow up the carb so it can carry the fuel.

Regards,