yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
This photo was shot at OWE. Still looks to me like there's way too much camber in the wheels. Are you guys who have flown seeing this-- the prototype doesn't have it. Should I wait until after some taxying and landings before making any changes? I know a couple of hundred pounds of fuel and pilot will help, but it didn't change noticeably when the wings were added.

THANKS

Wayne 120241

DSC_0080.jpg

Yes Wait!

Should I wait until after some taxing and landings before making any changes?

Yes!:cool:

John
RV12 N1212K

Every RV-12 that I have looked at (other than Van's) exhibits the same camber and it does not go away when fully loaded. Maybe Scott can comment and suggest a solution (if necessary).

After 75 hours my tires are showing uneven wear possibly due to the camber.

And...

Are any flying 12's experiencing a "correction" of the camber as a result of hours?

Since moving my painted plane to the hangar, all the comments about the plane include one about the camber looking "wrong." If this is the planned configuration, that's fine but there was an earlier post saying Van's demo did not have the "excessive" camber.

Jim in San Antonio
RV12 N233TX

Hey Wayne

Have 2 big people get in with a full tank, and move it forward a short distance to allow widening out, and I think you will see the wheels are about 'right'. Just the nature of it.

John Bender

On my Cessna 180, the camber at gross weight is supposed to be zero. While not exactly an apples to apples comparison, it does suggest loading it up to gross weight, with the weight in the CG envelope, of course, and checking it again.

Other RV aircraft can use tapered shims. I saw that Van's sells them. That's how to adjust this.

Do they fit? Or will you need to make your own?

Incidentally, it seems to me that rather than get the camber zero at gross, it would make more sense to get it zero at the most common flight weight.

Most spring steel landing gear...

Have 2 big people get in with a full tank, and move it forward a short distance to allow widening out, and I think you will see the wheels are about 'right'. Just the nature of it.

John Bender

....like that will wear the insides of the tires first, since they hang at an angle and that area slides during touchdown.

We split the rims and turn the tires around when the outer groove almost disappears and get quite a few more hours out of them.

Best,