GLPalinkas

Well Known Member
I was just perusing the VAF white pages and came across a phenomenon to ponder. (Couldn't sleep :)

Just why are there so many RV's in Texas.

Is it just that DR/VAF has captured the local market better than other states. I can't believe that but, really, 8 (yes, EIGHT) pages of Texas RV's in the VAF White Pages. OK a larger population may account for some numbers but other more populated states don't even come close. Texas, 2nd in total population, and the numbers are still above the total for the other 3 of the top 4 combined. California, New York and Florida. (about 6 1/2 pages) Maybe Doug can give us real numbers without too much work.

What say you Oh Wise RV'ers?

Last edited:
We Texans have vast distances to cover, all within the state's borders, and we like to cover those distances quickly, hence lots of RVs.

More here too!

Georgia and South Carolina have a pile of RV's not on the forum. It's not unusual to see 40-50 at a fly in in either State.

Best,

I would say it is a combination of things. I moved here from California because there was no way to afford a plane living in the San Francisco area and the "neighbors" were not so GA friendly. (my opinion)

Texas does not have income tax or aircraft tax. The real-estate is relatively cheap. Fuel is cheaper than other areas, and hangar space is relatively inexpensive (and available). It is all about creating the right conditions for GA, and Texas does this.

Texas is active too. Every weekend there is something to do in GA. Many weekends we have several to choose from. And it is not only RV's.

There is a down side too. It is hot! But air-conditioning is available. :)

Now, if GA went away in Texas, I am not sure how some of the towns would survive. So IMHO, I think Texas is more reliant on GA than say California. Maybe that has something to do with it also.

I lived in Texas for sixteen years and agree that the saying "everything's bigger in Texas" is true. It's a statement that has multiple implications, but my observations are that Texas folk seem to set the bar higher in most areas. No slam on any other state.

I would say it is a combination of things. I moved here from California because there was no way to afford a plane living in the San Francisco area and the "neighbors" were not so GA friendly. (my opinion)

Texas does not have income tax or aircraft tax. The real-estate is relatively cheap. Fuel is cheaper than other areas, and hangar space is relatively inexpensive (and available). It is all about creating the right conditions for GA, and Texas does this.

Texas is active too. Every weekend there is something to do in GA. Many weekends we have several to choose from. And it is not only RV's.

There is a down side too. It is hot! But air-conditioning is available. :)

Now, if GA went away in Texas, I am not sure how some of the towns would survive. So IMHO, I think Texas is more reliant on GA than say California. Maybe that has something to do with it also.

Hey! Don't be giving away all our secrets. We like it sparsely populated.

Basically what Mike D said as well. TX is very aircraft friendly. Not only no real estate tax, but no sales tax either on it as long as you?re buying from an individual and not a dealer that hasn?t sold X number of planes in a X amount of time period.

For poor boys like me, that makes a huge difference, and can be a deal breaker for quite a few of us. I?ve read tax laws in some of these other states on aircraft ownership, we really got it lucky.

pilots in texas like getting on a list. therefore big list.

pilots in florida dont like getting on a list. therefore small list.

pilots in texas like getting on a list. therefore big list.

pilots in florida dont like getting on a list. therefore small list.

Are the FL pilots snowbirds and don't want to be on any list that either state can see and tax?

Some of the same exists in AZ....:)

Just why are there so many RV's in Texas.
Texas has a strong aviation history and critical mass of people who build airplanes and engines for a living. Couple that with the self-reliance attitude, a very strong economy, lots of VFR weather and big distances and it's pretty clear why.

TODR