Hawkeye7A

Well Known Member
I've been reading these forums for over 5 years and I frequently hear the reference to the "RV Grin". I'm here to tell you that it doesn't necessarily come with the first flight. I did my first engine start today. After all of the necessary prep work I gave her a shot of fuel, and turned the key. While cranking I pumped the throttle twice more and she was alive! No more than 2 seconds and maybe 5 to 6 blades. Kept the idle low until I saw oil pressure and then brought her up to about a grand. After a half minute or so I increased the RPM to 1700 and did a mag check. All good. No bad signals from my ground crew (Fire, etc) I ran 'er up to max and saw about 2350-2400 RPM (Lyc O-360, Ed Sterba wood prop) and everything was in the green. Brought it back down to idle and pulled the mixture to lean cut-off and noted the RPM rise. A slight mixture adjustment from the A&P/IA who did my overhaul and back into the noise. This time I fired up the JPI 700 and the EGTs were running 1275 to 1325 and the CHTs at 280 to 320. (Cowling was not installed at this time). Checked the oil pressure, oil temp, manifold press, ammeter, voltmeter and EVERYTHING was happy! None more so than me!! (Wired it all from scratch by myself!) What a great day. Lots of milestones along the way but the only one that will beat this is first flight. Anyway, the whole point is that, if you're paying attention, the "Grin" starts before you take to the air. Thanx for reading my rambling.

Way to go!

I got the grin from first flight, but that engine start seemed like much more to me. This was my first new engine start ever, and it was incredible. Grin is still to come!!!

I think you get multiple RV grins when building a plane. So far I have experienced the first engine start grin and the first taxi grin. Hopefully the first flight grin will come soon!

How to highjack a thread.

I was lucky enough to get a ride in a Breezy about five years ago when a guy from Illinois was making an around the country circuit and landed at my home base. I struck up a conversation with him and he invited me along for a ride the next morning, if I showed up. I showed up and he took me along on about a 20 minute ride. It's just like flying a motorcycle and I was at total smile for the rest of the week. The EAA chapter I belong to holds it's meetings at the air museum in Eugene Oregon and has a breezy hanging from the ceiling. Attached to that Breezy is a picture of it taken just as it went vertical in a loop. My guess is it was donated shortly after completing the loop.;)

A loop?!

I've only ever seen them in photos. I've read that Steven Coonts has one. Those things can really do a loop?!