Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Anybody out there have a line on an internet site that lists gas stations where one can buy ethanol-free fuel? I've spent the past hour or so looking, and no luck. I'm in NV which has no statewide mandate for ethanol.

thanks,
greg

MOGAS

In MO we have a farmer's Co-Op that we can get non ethanol regular from. Try calling local suppliers. It is now cheaper to leave the ethanol out here and may be there also. For MOGAS at airports, go to Airnav.com, click on fuel, and select MOGAS.

Good luck.

Ethonol-free fuel locations

Greg: Are you looking for local ethonal fuel or "on the road" fuel? The local ethanophobs around Reno go to Fernley for gas. My understanding is that Washoe and Clark county stop the winter blend (ethanol) 1 Feb. Dan.

Here in Idaho, in the Boise area, there are a couple of Phillips 66 stations, Tesoro, and a Maverick station that have non-ethanol fuel. It might be worth checking these brands if you have them in your area.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, there are no airfields anywhere near that have ethanol free fuel. I'm mostly interested in local stuff - can do 100LL on the road as necessary. Dan, do you know which (or are they all?) stations in Fernley are ethanol free (p.s. sold the cessna, so now I can afford fuel...)?

greg

Ethanol

at 10% seems to run just fine..No problems so far even at altitude and COLD!

Frank 7a wingroot electric pumps

Greg: In NV, the only two counties that require ethanol is Washoe and Clark, Reno and Las Vegas. All the rest have no requirement to add the 10% ethanol. I recommend asking Lou Gage where he gets his in Fernley. I expect that most suppliers in Reno are phasing out ethanol as we type. Dan

I get my mogas from the local farm bureau fuel farm. About three months ago I noticed my monthly bill had changed, stating my fuel purchases were ethanol-blended 87 octane. So I called and asked around how long it has been blended (which at one time it wasn't), and they said its been that way for over a year. Admittedly I wasn't testing the fuel for alcohol but I've had no problems running it, no reason to change if its working fine.

So... at the risk of starting another fuel war... I hear you guys running ethanol in your engines. I have no qualms about it burning just fine but there is the ever-present fear (warranted or not) that ethanol can ruin certain rubber (or rubber-like) parts. What, if anything, have those of you running ethanol done to assure that "ethanol corrosion" of rubber parts is not an issue? I have been considering going through the parts list for anything that touches fuel and determining the composition of each part (well, at least the rubbery parts) to determine whether it is ethanol-resistant or not.

I would love to be convinced that ethanol is not an issue, and I realize that the engine folk are not about to do this, but on the other hand I am cautious about just taking anecdotal evidence for ethanol being ok because I don't know enough about engines and ethanol-rubber reactions. I have looked around a lot and, of course, nobody is willing to commit anything in writing, probably for fear of the lawsuit potential. Please convince me (and I'm happy to be convinced in a less public way - [email protected] if that is easier).

thanks,
greg

>... I'm in NV which has no statewide mandate for ethanol.

thanks,
greg

Makes no difference if you are in a state with no mandate, ethanol is going into all the gasoline because of unintended consequence of federal RFS mandate, EISA 2007. www.e0pc.com

Your best be is to help us pass laws in all states to prohibit blending of ethanol in premium unleaded.

States without mandatory ethanol laws are at most risk, they have no exemptions for aircraft, watercraft, etc. like the few states with mandatory ethanol laws do.

If you want to see how bad it is really getting read the posts on the forum at e0pc.com, especially for Washington, Montana and Florida.

I would love to be convinced that ethanol is not an issue, and I realize that the engine folk are not about to do this
Rotax has approved Mogas up to 5% EtOH in the 912 series. LSA routinely run pump mogas, which can be up to 10% just fine. If you're worried, test each batch and blend with 100LL.

TODR