sritchie

Well Known Member
Reminder to self - etch the big skins FIRST so you don't lay them down in a puddle of Ekoetch and chemically etch the outer skin:

2015-06-30%2022.00.46.jpg

I can feel tiny grains on the surface now.

(I'm guessing that this is fine, since we're going to have the plane painted and that means major rough-up, yeah?)

Etched

Reminder to self - etch the big skins FIRST so you don't lay them down in a puddle of Ekoetch and chemically etch the outer skin:

2015-06-30%2022.00.46.jpg

I can feel tiny grains on the surface now.

(I'm guessing that this is fine, since we're going to have the plane painted and that means major rough-up, yeah?)

Welcome Sam.
Hard to tell from the photo. Try maroon scotch brite on a small spot. If they scuff out easy then don't fret. I would make sure that stuff is gone. Maybe scotch brite, wash and prime. Why are you using an acid etching solution?

By the way, several builders in and around you.
Send me an e-mail. I'll add you to our e-mail group.

Last edited:
Welcome Sam.
Hard to tell from the photo. Try maroon scotch brite on a small spot. If they scuff out easy then don't fret. I would make sure that stuff is gone. Maybe scotch brite, wash and prime. Why are you using an acid etching solution?

Scotchbrite works great, and it's all washed off, so I'll just let it be. I was using the Stewart Systems triple, so ekoclean and ekoetch before spraying ekoprime. The whole work area we had was saturated, so the outside of the skins got a minute sitting on the chemical etcher before getting hosed down.

I definitely want in on that list. We're near Chautaqua in Boulder building the RV10 out of the garage. Just finished the vertical stabilizer this morning, and partway through the rudder and horizontal stabilizer in parallel. Would love to meet up with you guys and compare notes. Let me figure out how to send you a PM.