RV7ator

Well Known Member
What have any of you used to tint West Systems epoxy? I'd like to blacken the gap filler between windshield and skin. Degrading the cured strength isn't important to me in this application, but the epoxy must still cure.

John Siebold

Carbon black would work, but you don't want it next to the skin. You might paint on a coat of regular epoxy across the area, let it cure, then mix carbon black, micro-balloons, and epoxy as a filler in that area. That works on the inside.

Alternately, you can lay down one layer of thin regular fiberglass on the outside, let it cure, then overlay it with carbon fiber and carbon black tinted epoxy. Use a top layer of regular cloth, fill and sand.

I did both.

Epoxy tints

RV7ator said:
What have any of you used to tint West Systems epoxy? I'd like to blacken the gap filler between windshield and skin. Degrading the cured strength isn't important to me in this application, but the epoxy must still cure.

Check out the attached link. They have pretty much any color you might want. I have used the Graphite with good results.

http://www.cstsales.com/pigments_glitters.html