Ron B.

Well Known Member
I had to build up around the rear windows in our RV-10 with an epoxy layup to get the window to install flush. How long should this layup cure before using weld-on 10 to install the window?
Thanks Ron

It depends

On what the tempature of your shop is, the kind of catalyste you used, slow-medium-fast, direct sunlight speeds things up. I would think things should be solid in no more than 24 hours. I am far from an expert but hopefully Dan Horton will chime in, he is very good with fiberglass and has made some great posts about fiberglass on here, search DanH and you should find some good tips.

Randy
8A Finishing, FWF

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. My hangar has heat 24/7 but at night I turn it down to about 60 F. I used the medium hardner. It is hard enough to sand this morning. I can now physically do the weld-on 10 today, but my question is for a proper bond should I wait for the curing process to finish before I bond with another product (weld -on 10 ) ?
Thanks Again
Ron

Thanks for the help. My hangar has heat 24/7 but at night I turn it down to about 60 F. I used the medium hardner. It is hard enough to sand this morning. I can now physically do the weld-on 10 today, but my question is for a proper bond should I wait for the curing process to finish before I bond with another product (weld -on 10 ) ?
Thanks Again
Ron

If it is cured enough to sand on, it is cured enough to bond to.

Just make sure you do sufficient surface prep. (sanding) on you layup before bonding in the window.

Did not get to the back windows today. Just realized that we would paint the dash (that is what it's called in an automobile)before installing the windscreen. Spent the day getting it ready, and will not get to tommorow. Should be fine on Monday for glueing.
Thanks Ron