rracer10

Well yesterday I posted a thread in regards to the announced Columbia-Cessna merger and today it's Epic-Airbus.

See Link: http://www.avweb.com/news/nbaa/NBAA...nes_Airbus_StrategicPartnership_196228-1.html

It was obvious from the outset, that Epic's LT Turbo-Prop was headed for certification. Also, the announcement of its two VLJ's (single and twin engine) just added to it's package of aircraft.

It is not clear at this time what role Airbus will play in the company, but I'm sure that they see it as getting more than giving $$$.

So here we have two start up experimental aircraft manufacturers, going the certification route, then being bought up by larger aircraft companies. What the future of the Lancair and Epic experimentals will be is not certain. They may eventually disappear from the market. That would be a great loss. :(

Over the years many have questioned Van for not producing a certified version of some of his models, including recently the RV-12 for the LSA market.

Based on the above mergers, I think his wisdom of keeping it "experimental" has been a windfall for all of us.

Last edited:
What a tangled web Epic is weaving. At Reno, Epic had their two jets and the T-prop on display and flying. They are all very impressive performers. My dad happened to bump into the pres and asked if Epic was actually going to certify/ build their designs up in Canada as has been reported for almost 2 years. He said yes if the Canadians ever get off their behinds and start/ finish the buildings.

This is happening at my home base airport Springbank, just west of Calgary. Land is being cleared, roads paved etc. but I just don't see why Epic would move from the US to here. There is no skilled aviation labor and the currency now makes it very expensive to produce anything here. It makes no sense to me.

Epic has always said it was funding development and certification of these aircraft through selling kits to homebuilders. This also allowed customer feedback to improve the certified versions- brilliant strategy I thought.

Now with Airbus as a partner- argh, I see control slipping away, costs increasing and a US designed product being produced overseas perhaps. Epic must have their reasons for this but Airbus would not be my choice of partners after the A380 debacle.

Too bad Epic didn't just build it and certify it in Oregon. They seemed to be really on a roll. Outsourcing manufacturing offshore is good for short term financial gains but in the long run hurts your economy and engineering/ manufacturing infrastructure IMO. Vans is of course outsourcing work overseas to reduce costs of QB kits and many others like Cirrus/ Cessna are planning this for their LSAs. I hope they all retain control and it doesn't undermine aircraft design and manufacturing here in North America long term.

The British and Canadians learned this lesson the hard way decades ago with the brain drain resulting from cancelled projects.

Last edited: