RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
I am planning a trip to Old Rhinebeck the weekend after Father's Day. Specifically, we will be departing from KFFC Falcon Field just s. of Atlanta and arriving at Poughkeepsie NY. We currently have eight airplanes making the trek.

I am looking for suggestions for a couple of enroute stops on the way up and back. My desire is to have a 3 hr first leg and a 2 hour second leg. I am looking for a place that has relatively inexpensive fuel, food on the field due to the logistics of 16 people, and hopefully something interesting about the airport. We are planning on the route east of DC and go up the coast from there and do the Hudson tour. I am thinking that on the way up, something near Norfolk would be good. Suffolk Exec. (SFQ) appears to be a good candidate. On the way back something near Raleigh would be good. I also need some suggestions for west/southwest of DC in case we have to take the western route.

Thank you for yout help!

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

Suffolk is where I'd stop. From what I remember the fuel price was reasonable and there is a nice little restaurant on the field.
Sounds like a great trip.....
Don't forget to do a write-up when you get back.

Glenn Wilkinson

If Suffolk doesn't work out, you might try Hummel Field (W75). The fuel prices are generally lower than most, the food is better than Suffolk's (is or was). It is a much smaller airport but it has character. Williamsburg Jamestown (JGG) also has a restaurant on the field but you need to verify their hours of operation. Fuel is not cheap there by any standard.

lookn for all that will be tough. if KSFQ has an open cafe you will be very happy there. they have mog gas and warbirds also. it is always on my trip north and south. i have found carrying food is a better option. inflight service is best. great view!
webla.jpg

If you go up the West side of DC you could always go to KLNS. There is a great Italian Restraunt on the field.

Foreflight is acurate on the KPOU fuel and today it's about $6.72 :eek:

44N about 6 miles away is $5.88. Last week I just hopped over there and topped off before my flight.

Have fun!

9nm from Suffolk is Hampton Executive, PVG. Fuel is almost as cheap as SFQ and they have a restaurant on the field. It is open, but limited hours o call ahead. As others have said, I believe SFQ's restaurant is closed.

I can confirm that the restaurant at Suffolk (SFQ) is closed which is too bad. They still have good fuel prices, and sell ethanol-free MoGas. But if you want an on-field restaurant, you'll have to stop elsewhere. Jamestown and Hummel are good as others have said.

Hey Guys,
Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I am looking forward to Old Rhinebeck, but I am also very much looking forward to the journey there and back. You do meet some wonderful people along the way!

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

Anyone have any suggestions for an airport near Raleigh for the return trip? Once again, thank you for all your help!

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE