Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkie

Well Known Member
So I was attempting to rivet HS-404 to HS-702 to HS-405 tonight. The very first rivet wasnt set all the way when I started to hit it with the gun, so I had to drill it out. Somehow I went through 404, 405, and 702. Should I order a new spar and 2 new ribs???

IMG_1122.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What diameter hole would you have to create to encompass the entire drilled out oblong hole? I am not familiar with the -7, but could you substitute a larger rivet by drilling the hole out. Would it give you enough edge clearance in the rib?

5/16" I won't have edge distance on either rib. I'm screwed. Gotta order the spar and ribs. It really sucks that a stupid mistake like this on my part is gonna cost so much more than just a few $$$. I'm so frustrated.

If you clean up the edges of that hole, you could probably put a doubler on the back side of the boogered hole big enough to capture a rivet above and below and then just abandon that hole. Send photo to Van's. There is always a way to fix it.

Send the photo to Vans and see what they say. You may be able to drill out the spar hole to 5/16 and leave it empty. Then use -3 rivets on either side of the hole. It's hard to tell from your photo. Someone else with a lot more experience than I may jump in. The other holes looked a little rough, are you de-burring them properly?

Thanks guys. I sent an email to vans. I am deburring properly. I drilled out a few rivets and scuffed up the primer. That's why they look that way.

Rivet removal tool

Get a rivet removal tool. Helps a lot, makes the job of rivet removal a lot faster and accurate. Can't get it on a rivet in tight spaces but mine's paid for itself many times over. I have a 5- rivet in one of those holes...
I'll send you a PM.

Last edited:
As mike suggested, buy that tool. You can gain a bit more access by chucking it up in your die grinder. Don't chuck it in a 90 deg drill with an adaptor or you will ruin your drill as they where not made for the weight and side load.
I can think of very, very few reasons to ever drill past the head of the rivet. If you do, you will ruin the hole, every time.
The EAA has a good video showing technique and AC-43-1b describes the procedure. Search the posts for other threads. After you remove a few thousand rivets, you refine your technique!
And yes, everyone at one time or another has probably done this.

Status
Not open for further replies.