Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Look at what was in the mailbox today!! Will add paint later (after I decide what color) but he did exactly the layout I asked which was different that the ones he had pictured!! Turn around was around 2 weeks. He also sells these caps for 29.50 each. (www.rvengraving.com).

dscf0012rt7.jpg

Focus

I can't decide: Have I had too many glasses of cheap red wine, or is the photo out of focus?:confused:

engraving

Bill did a lot of work on my plane for me, including some "custom" stuff. He engraved my caps, fuel selector plate, controls plate, and even my flip switch guards for my lighting and fuel pump and primer switches. I get lots of comments on those items form folks that "inspect" my plane on the ramp.
Bill is a great guy, does exceptional work, and a real pleasure to do business with.
Highly recommend him...

Chris
taxi testing!!

Out of focus

I can't decide: Have I had too many glasses of cheap red wine, or is the photo out of focus?:confused:

It is out of focus because the range taken was about 8 inches and my digital just doesn't like the distance. Perhaps it needed some cheap red wine.

I just didn't want to show off cuts and scratches from working on the dang fiberglass this weekend (LOL).

Very nice, I do like those caps.

Only, I would have left the N-number off just in case you "drop" one on someone's house/car/head. :eek:

One thing I do as part of my "free and correct" control check is to look at both fuel caps to make sure they are in place and locked.

It is out of focus because the range taken was about 8 inches and my digital just doesn't like the distance. ...snip

Webb, check and see if you camera has a 'macro' mode. Most digitals represent this with a flower symbol. That is for the up close work, like what my wife does with her jewelry photos.

You'd be amazed at the detail you can get on a rivet, or nutplate, etc. in macro mode.

b,
d

Will do

Webb, check and see if you camera has a 'macro' mode. Most digitals represent this with a flower symbol. That is for the up close work, like what my wife does with her jewelry photos.

You'd be amazed at the detail you can get on a rivet, or nutplate, etc. in macro mode.

b,
d

I'll see what it has. My main goal was to keep the flash from reflecting back. Photography isn't one of my finer points of abilities.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out tonight.

Very nice Webb! I've been looking for another way to cover the fuel placard requirement, and could use the old caps as spares. Nice idea!

Cheers,

Bob Mills
"Rocket" RV-6
N600SS
Reno-Stead (4SD)

Lesson learned

I thought I'd share a tid bit of information in a lesson I learned the hard way.

Shown are one of two pair of fuel caps I sent out for engraving. This set is not mine. My personalized caps are not shown, I never thought to take a picture of them but the end result is identical. Anyway, do you notice the pitting on the surface of the caps? That pitting occured when I first sent the relevant cap parts out to be anodized in the color red. What I did not know at the time was the fuel caps are not receptive to anodizing because (as the anodizing company told me), the metal is cast aluminum. The result was described to me as uneven and appeared as dirty burgundy and was stripped off. The caps were returned no charge...but the damage was done.

No anodizing

Just engraved, no anodizing done. Good thing to know!!! Thanks

If you take the caps apart they can be sanded and polished really nicely. I did that before sending them out for engraving.

070114a.jpg

DR - You're my hero

b,
d

Doug to the rescue (again). Thanks for the tip.

This should be better. Also, taken outside with no flash.

dscf0001ac8.jpg

Polished ??

NOW these got the polished look. This is the first and not totally done.
Got to love it.:D

Spare CAP !!!!

This is what happens when you polish on a fast buffer. You order new cap and replace it and put this in your parts bag so when you land after cap blew off because of fast speeds:rolleyes:. This is the finished spare cap. Got some tips from my engraver. If you need the tips post it on the web here and we can help all the people out.:cool:

Engraved Andair Locking Fuel Caps

For the benefit of anyone that has not seen them, I thought I'd post a photo of my engraved Andair Locking Fuel Caps. I chose not to have the a/c registration on them.

Just ask Andair about engraving when you place your order. For a small price they'll engrave whatever you want on them (as long as it fits!).
Mine has one row of text at the top and one at the bottom but I believe they can do two rows of text if you want.

s1kgig.jpg