Dbro172

Well Known Member
In regards to purchasing a new, experimental O-320 160HP Fixed Pitch I know of a few options out there but cant say I understand any major benefits of one over the other, if there are any, or what other options there are.

Considering the following (essentially same cost) what notable features could be said about any?

1. Vans factory new Lyc. XO-320-D2G (roller tappet) - $25,700
2. Aersport Power - $25,100 (non roller tappet, $27k for the roller)
3. ECI Titan (assembled by ECI) OX-320 - $25,158
4. Superior XP 320 - $25,300 (roller tappet) (published as OK to run 91 mogas)

Last edited:
I have a roller tappet IO-360-A3B6 factory engine and I like it. We had to pay top dollar to get it, but no more worry of cam spalling and failure, which is the only weak point of these engines.

Derek,
I think there are some very good choices out there and I am at the same spot as you. I had originally decided on a Mattituck but they are now gone.
The Sun-N-Fun special will hit right about the time I need to order my engine. With the special (if it happens this year) and the prop/engine combo special, I am planning on ordering both from Van's in April. I will be using the XIO-320 as I prefer the fuel injected.

So what did you decide on the canopy?

Generally, Aerosport is slightly more expensive than Vans. This makes me skeptical that you are comparing similiar engines. If they are the same new engine (not a rebuilt) and has all the same assessories, then you'll get better support and warranty service from Aerosport.

Make sure you know what you want. I wanted a Lightspeed ignition on top and mag on the bottom, which I couldn't get from a stock Lycoming. Made the decision easier (I went with Aero Sport).

-Rob

one more option.....

In regards to purchasing a new, experimental O-320 160HP Fixed Pitch I know of a few options out there but cant say I understand any major benefits ......

Gotta say two things.

with a FP prop, a full cargo hold means aft CG. If I were building, I'd go to a 180 hp for those hot, humid days etc.

you say a 160hp for obvious reasons...but by upping the compression of an 0-320, you may have limited some of your fuel options ( altho there are many who will disagree, and say that you can still burn any Mogas)

just my silly opinion of course ( JMSAOOC)?!??!:)

Definitely Aerosport. The warranty along with their great customer service is unmatched.

Whichever engine you pick, order the holow crank and have them plug it. That way you can convert to a CS prop at some time in the future.

I went with an ECI O-360 kit and built put it together with the help of an IA friend. The thing runs like a top!

Do your research on putting an O-360 in a -9. Van does not recommend it but 180 hp -9's are not falling out of the sky.

Generally, Aerosport is slightly more expensive than Vans. This makes me skeptical that you are comparing similiar engines. If they are the same new engine (not a rebuilt) and has all the same assessories, then you'll get better support and warranty service from Aerosport.
That was traditionally true in the past, but the Canadian dollar is hovering over par right now... That may be having an effect?