jsherblon said:
Anyone have any knowledge or experience with Leavens Aviation engines? They advertise engine break-in as an option.
I know new engines are run-in. Do other engine builders offer break-in on new engines?

The engine builder that I'm using, runs the engine for 3.5hrs on a test stand after it's built and before he "pickles" it and gets it ready for shipment. I can pay him for more time on the test stand if I want to.

Most people will tell you that if it's not a ceramic coated engine, that it's broken in in 5hrs. However, keeping maximum MP on the rings for the first 10-20hrs is a good thing to make sure the rings are seated correctly and not glazed over.

That's the catch 22 of building an airplane and hanging a new engine. You want to start it up after you hang it to make sure its all right, that and not running it at max MP in those early hours is the *worst* thing you can do for ring seating and oil useage. IMHO

That's the catch 22 of building an airplane and hanging a new engine. You want to start it up after you hang it to make sure its all right, that and not running it at max MP in those early hours is the *worst* thing you can do for ring seating and oil useage. IMHO
I think this is correct. Which engine builder are you using that puts it on the test stand for 3.5 hours?

David Johnson said:
I think this is correct. Which engine builder are you using that puts it on the test stand for 3.5 hours?

Performance Engines - it's an IO-550 and they always do the basic "break-in/run-in". Just as well as this is a 10:1, ceramic coated, roller lifter, custom cam, ported and polished and flow balanced engine... I'd rather they find the problems early on.