Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Anyone ever try (or have done) an engine turned instrument panel? Someone suggested I look into it for the 7A, as I'm trying for a polished aluminum exterior w/ accent colors on the fiberglass parts.

Just curious as to whether it's been done and if so, how'd it look? Any drawbacks (glare, etc.)?

Sure looks pretty on old cars and boats...

dash_installed72.jpg

Have one....

in my RV-4. No problems with reflection. The -4 was built in 1987 and I bought it a couple years ago. The panel still looked pretty good but a bit dull. I redid the panel and in the process reworked the turning - I just used a small wire wheel (from a dremel) in my drill press to get the pattern. Worked real good.

Engine turned instrument panel

We did my instrument panel and sub panel along with a few side panel items in our 8. No problem with glare. I used an old Briggs and Stratton intake valve with some scotchbrite super glued to the head and chucked in a drill press. Laid out a cross hatch pattern on the panel with a sharpie, then began, overlapping 50% with the turning. After finishing, I cleaned with a final prep cleaner and sprayed it with a Clear coat. I suggest a little practice on some scrap or even the back side of the panel first.
John

A friend of mine engine turned his firewall. To maintain the pattern, he build a wooden frame to hold the firewall and drilled index holes along the X and Y axis. He then pinned the frame to a sub frame which was clamped to the drill press, moving one hole at a time. The finished product was a work of art. Success is dependent on maintaining a precise pattern. I believe he used a small wire brush either bare or with a round of Scotch brite.
Engine turning was quite popular in the '20's and '30's but is probably too labor intensive for today's world

about an hour per sq ft

you will want to turn the entire panel before cutting holes or your patter will get off. Use a guide to slide the panel down to keep the lines strait and the frequency will need to be done by eye.