jump4way

Well Known Member
I purchased an engine for my RV-8 project and need to have it transported. I'm looking for any advice you guys might have on freight companies and anything I need to be aware of to make the process go smoothly without any surprises. I'm buying from an individual rather than an engine build shop that would have experience with this.

The engine has been crated using the same basic design as was uses when the engine was originally shipped from ECI but slightly smaller. He has no fork lift or loading dock but I will have a lift on my end.

Thanks for any advice.

Andy
RV-8 in progress

My O-235 has made four trips across the US on truck. Eastbound was always an over built plywood box. West bound always on a pallet, plastic straps, a steel L plate from the crank to the pallet and a cardboard box. Westbound was the finished product. Don't over think it. This side up and do not stack should be enough (and perhaps insurance).

I recently shipped an engine via FedEx Ground. The driver had the lift, and picked the crate from my hangar floor. He was loaded and gone in under ten minutes.
If the seller has the engine crated properly, there should be no issues. +1 for making sure it is insured though!

I purchased and used engine in Florida and had it transported to Utah. I used engineshipping.com and I also used an aircraft escrow company where I deposited the full purchase amount and released about 70% on shipping and the remaining 30% on receipt.

Seller had a forklift and arrived on a truck with a hydraulic ramp and pallet jack. Engine was on a engine shipping pallet, bolted and strapped down sitting on an old tire enclosed in cardboard sides. Worked out well for me.

Insurance

Found out something others might find interesting. I'd been on the fence whether or not to get builders insurance for my kit. I called Nationair to see if they offer shipping insurance. They told me they do not offer shipping insurance specifically but builders insurance will cover any incendents during transport given you can prove the item belongs to you and is part of the kit. The cost is not much more than what the shipping companies are quoting me and I get the added benefit of having a year of coverage on the rest of the kit.

My engine was shipped by Old Dominion also in a wood crate. Do problems or damage. I picked it up at their local terminal building.