logansc

Well Known Member
Anyone know of any engine rebuild shops in the Southeast that feature test cells, particularly a test cell with a dynomometer? My Lycoming 540 has been held up for awhile waiting "it's turn". If they can't get it across the cell in a couple of weeks, I am planning on going to get it and bring it somewhere else, or to just do the install without running it on a test cell first.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lee...

It's in the South West but you could ship you're engine to Lycon. They're nice people to deal with and the test stand is a dyno.

testcell.jpg

I'd also prefer having it come apart in there rather than the nose of my plane.

Last edited:
Wycliffe Bible translators..

.....aviation department at Waxhaw, N.C. rebuilds engines and have a test cell which Jenny and I saw last year on a day trip there.

Regards,

Also in NC

There is a community college in Greensboro NC I believe has a test stand. Is there some reason you suspect the engine. Really the easy way is mount it to the plane. I was considering the test stand deal, but I'm just mounting it and going to do initial ground engine break-in on the plane. It has the prop, cooling, instrumentation...... To do the test stand deal you have to install all that than break it down again. It's another step and it will cost time and money.

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs, guys. Actually, I am trying to be responsible (a whole new lifestyle for me, I admit) in part because (1) my airplane is reasonably high performance for an OBAM aircraft, (2) because my airfield has a relatively short runway for a first flight and (3) because I would like to have a horsepower figure as a reference for future modifications and tuning.

Otherwise, I'd have installed the engine, gone through standard engine break-in procedures and never looked back, a long time ago! I will still do that if I can't get it on a cell somewhere pretty soon. I'm not getting any younger!

Regards,

Lee...