miyu1975

Well Known Member
I need to set up the values in my Skyview for engine temps. I looked in the lycoming manual and only found this..

Never exceed the maximum red line cylinder head temperature limit.
For maximum service life, cylinder head temperatures should be
maintained below 435F. (224C.) during high performance cruise
operation and below 400F. (205C.) for economy cruise powers.

Can someone tell me a little more. I am looking for CHT minimum, normal, max...same thing for EGT, Oil temp

Yep,

Set your Green range up to 380F

Yellow from 380 -400 or maybe 420 at the most.

Red from 400 or 420 and above.

The reason I say this is despite what Lycoming say, it can be viewed the wrong way. Look at it from a point of a preignition event, or even just detonation due to a number of factors, if you are busy climbing out, ATC talking to you and other distractions, do you want to be fault finding as your CHT is rocketing through 480+ on its way to destroying something?

No you don't, so set the red zone and any alarm you want at the beginning of something needing attention.

I will sound harsh here, but if anyone convinces you otherwise, I can show you two foolish folk! I am deadly serious about this.

DB:)

PS Oil temps, say yellow from 220 red up near the limit which is 245 off the top of my head. EGT, not really important but a plug failing will start to show up at say 1500 so maybe a yellow at 1550 and a lower yellow at 1100 maybe. And ignition related stuff you have a bit of leeway. Fuel pressures use the book numbers and sensible buffers either side.

Last edited:
One comment - for your initial test flights, you don't want to be bothered by warnings when your temperatures or pressures are on the high (or low) end of normal. If they are within Lycoming's published limits, you don't want the warning.

One local bulder really worked himself into a tizzy on an initial flight because he had the warning limits set to where he wanted the temperatures, instead of where they reflected a pending problem. So warnings were going off for most of his flight, despite temperatures, pressures, etc. that were within bounds. This was a big distraction for him.

Later, once you learn what the normal operating temperatures and pressures are for your airplane and engine, you can set warnings to reflect what is "normal" for your airplane so you'll know if anything changes.

Just my $0.02.

One local bulder really worked himself into a tizzy on an initial flight because he had the warning limits set to where he wanted the temperatures, instead of where they reflected a pending problem. So warnings were going off for most of his flight, despite temperatures, pressures, etc. that were within bounds. This was a big distraction for him.

Maybe he was not qualified to do the first flight.

Regarding the EGTs, the reading will vary due to a lot of factors so you will need to fly for a while and find out what are normal temps for you. In fact, as mentioned above, you may want to revisit your values after doing some flight testing; every engine installation is slightly different.