yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I'm getting closer to first engine start. Since the oil cooler is attached to the lower cowl I assume that Carb balancing and other work needs to be done with the lower cowl in place and that the propwash over the open engine bay won't hurt anything? Does the oil radiator just hang there when the lower cowl is removed?

Thanks

Wayne 120241

I used a couple of piecesof safety wire and supported the oil cooler for my first engine start. The carb can be balanced later.

What I did

I loosely suspended the oil cooler with a couple plastic tie-wraps up to 2 push-rod tubes, slightly below actual installed height, and left them there. I left both cowls off. When installing the lower cowl, it helps hold the oil cooler up nearly in proper height, and to me, makes it easier to install the lower cowl.

John Bender

First Run

I did my first run with the lower cowl in place. I ran some safety wire from any spot that would work on the top of the engine to the upper screw holes on the front top of the lower cowl to give it support so it wouldnt sag and hit the back plate of the propeller. This way I had good cooling down through the tunnel into the oil cooler and coolant radiator. You need another person to set those carbs if you can find one or else you will be getting in and out of the cockpit about a dozen or so times. Get some longer hoses to what ever you are going to use to balance the carbs with. Make sure they are of equal length. Run the hoses back to the cockpit and hold the unit in your lap. Give your helper a safety briefing on how to adjust the carbs and dont do anything untill the engine is warmed up. I suggest you watch the e-learning Video on the http://www.rotax-owner.com/ web site on carb Synchronization.
John
RV12 N1212K ;)

I did my first run with the lower cowl in place. I ran some safety wire from any spot that would work on the top of the engine to the upper screw holes on the front top of the lower cowl to give it support so it wouldnt sag and hit the back plate of the propeller.

My experience has been that with about an 1/8" clearance between the spinner and the bottom cowl, you can run the engine without the top cowl and have no worry about it contacting the spinner, but there is nothing wrong with adding the wire as insurance.