jeffmoreau

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to have my engine shipped from Superior. My understanding is that they only cover damages up to one thousand dollars once it leaves their dock.
It will cost me an additional one hundered to cover it up to $10,000.00 in damage and close to two hundred additional to insure it for it's full value.
The company is Yellow Freight. Should I take the additional coverage, or are the engines packed so that there is little possibility of damage?
Please share your comments and experience.

Regards

engine ship insurance

My engine had no insurance coverage.When it arrived it had four large holes busted thru the top lid.While this turned out to result in no damage to the engine.I can assure you I was worried. I had never thought about insurance thinking that the engine manufactured was responsibile to get it to me in good condition. In my case not the case.
For a do over, I would get my own insurance.
good luck

I got my engine shipped from Superior and had no trouble whatsoever. However, until reading this post just now, I had NO IDEA that damage, had it occurred, would not have been covered by the shipper. I guess I just assumed that if they broke it, they could pay to fix it. Well, I guess I'm lucky all went well. In spite of the fact that all was ok, I would plunk down the money to insure things.

Take the insurance

Jeff,
I work for one of the larges shipping Company in the world and yes take the insurance. My experience shipping via ABF or Yellow has been without any damage. Most damage occurs from the forklift (holes in box) and all engine are shipped in very heavy cardboard or plywood crate. We had a truck depart Charlotte, N.C. destination Toledo, OH two years ago and ran off a mountain killing the driver and instructor and the freight was a total loss due to fire. Insurance is a small price to pay. :)

One thing you want to be aware of is that some freight companies don't actually offer insurance, only liability coverage. This will only cover your freight if they are negligent (i.e., run forks through it, drop it off a truck, etc., etc.) It won't cover items like an accident due to snow or ice storm. Make sure you clarify!!

We insure every engine that leaves our shop. We've been very fortunate in 24 years that only one engine has had "significant" damage during transit, but better to pay a few hundred dollars up front than be out $25-50K.

If your engine is quoted FOB - Original Shipping point, you are responsible for it the moment it leaves the dock. By all means get the insurance.

If it is FOB - Your house, the shipper is responsible for it until it arrives.

Make sure you get this clarified when getting a quote on your engine.

Same goes for kits from Vans, there your baby at the time they leave the dock.

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I did indeed take extra insurance. I also found out that they put my engine on the test stand and if everything checks ok they are going to ship it out on Monday. I am excited. I have waited about 2 and a half years to get this engine. I sure hope it is all worth it! That is a big check to stroke.:eek: