Rick_A

Well Known Member
My O-360 has shipped (Mattituck) and freight is paid to the Yellow Freight Terminal. Question: If I haul it home in a trailer, is unloading it a 1 man job using an engine hoist?

Would I be better off paying for delivery with a lift gate truck and pallet jack?

If you take off the cardboard cover to get to the lifting ring, you could handle it solo with the hoist. Otherwise it's a pallet operation.

My hubby and I lifted our crated Lycoming off our Avalanche with an engine hoist. Do like Mike suggested and remove the cardboard cover to access the lifting ring.

Roberta

Slid mine down a pair of planks

I picked up my engine at the loading dock of the shipping company, which is about 15 miles plus a ferry boat from my house. This saved over $100. I took off the pickup truck tail gate and then put two 2" x 10" planks on the bumper. I then put an old piece of plywood on that. We then slid the engine crate down to the concrete driveway. Very easily done. My wife then lifted one side with the tung of a hand truck and I slid a dolly under it. Up until several weeks ago (overhauling now) it was sitting on the dolly. Very easy to move around my shop. I dismantled it right on the dolly while sitting on a stool. I don't have an engine hoist so never considered using one. The whole moving operation took about ten minutes.