avi8tor50

Well Known Member
I am building a 9A and at the point where I think I need to start considering my choice of powerplant. I will be going with the 0-320 160 hp and would appreciate any comments regarding purchase of an overhauled engine. I have heard good things about Penn Yan Aero but am open to suggestions. As always, cost is a consideration.
I believe I would like a constant speed model however will be modifying it to use a FP to start with. Would just like the option to change to CS at a later date if I so desire.
So tell me what you all think!

Peter K
QB 9A-Wings done and starting the wiring

Peter-
I'd recommend you give Bart or Sue at Aerosport Power a call. I am planning on exactly the same thing from them. They helped me at Oshkosh and then again last fall pick my engine mount/finish kit based on my desire to start fixed pitch with the option to upgrade to constant speed later. An overhauled O-320 from them starts at about 15K. New starts at about 19.5K. I'll probably be ordering from them in the next few months. As you will see on this list, probably the two most well-reviewed engine sources are Aerosport and Mattituck, although I am sure there are many others as well. Good luck.

Aerosport

Peter, I also got my overhauled engine from Bart & Sue. It has worked out great, so far. Got my IO-320-D1A and Hartzell CS prop for $19,500.00, both overhauled. Add the MT governor from Vans, about $1000.00 and your set.

Kent

I talked with Sue at Aerosport recently. Prices have gone up quite a bit from when Kent bought his engine, but have come down a little since they updated their website. And they can't get cores very readily anymore, so if you want an overhauled engine, you may have to find a core, or perhaps wait until they get one. And it may not be economical:

I was looking at an O-320 with 2,600 hrs. TTSN and asked Sue about overhaul cost. She guessed it would run around $13K with new cylinders. Add that to the $5,600 the seller wanted and that would put the cost at around $19K with shipping. Her price for a basic new ECI engine was $20K. You could reduce the O/H cost by overhauling the cylinders, but you would still have a used engine.

Richard Scott
RV-9A Wings

kentb said:
Peter, I also got my overhauled engine from Bart & Sue. It has worked out great, so far. Got my IO-320-D1A and Hartzell CS prop for $19,500.00, both overhauled. Add the MT governor from Vans, about $1000.00 and your set.Kent
Kent-Am I reading that Aerosport found and overhauled your constant speed prop for you? I would consider an overhauled c.s. instead of my fixed pitch if I could get it from someone I had confidence in.

Hello Steve, your in luck...they are next door to you.

I got my overhauled prop from Northwest Propeller Service for $3500.00. It took about 5 months before they located all the used parts to make the correct prop. but that was not a problem because I ordered well ahead of time.

The owner was great to work with and even flew my prop down to Aurora, Or. when it was ready. He was heading in my direction anyway.

Kent

http://www.nwpropeller.com/

Last edited: