stneki

Well Known Member
Patron
I have a new Aero Sport Power engine with 18 hours on it with a carb and fixed pitch prop. Engine is a O-360-A2A. Engine and prop were dynamically balance to .04. I have one Slick 4373 on the left and a Lightspeed Plasma II with a crank censor for the other ignition.

During flight if I switch off the mag the engine runs smoother or if I switch off the Lightspeed the engine runs smoother on just the mag. My cylinder temp run about 315 degrees (all are within 4 degrees of each other) and the exhaust temps are fairly close. The outside temp is around 75 degrees F.

I also have a problem with the oil temp as it will climb over 220 degrees if I do not throttle back to 2200 to 2300 RPM. The oil cooler is the standard cooler in the firewall forward kit from Vans. I do have a Sam James cowl.

Thank you for your help,

Steve

Check your mag/Light Speed timing. Also check how far the Lightspeed is advancing. I had a customer who reported that his MP sensor on his Lightspeed had failed and it was advancing 45 degrees :eek: This may cause glazing of the barrels and blow by, high oil temps and high CHTs and even detonation.

I recently had the same problem and my aircraft has a similar configuration (pmag & mag). I found it to be one of the plugs connected to the mag. The plug looked fine, tested good for resistance but didn't perform well under pressure.

Paul
RV-9a

Check your mag/Light Speed timing. Also check how far the Lightspeed is advancing. I had a customer who reported that his MP sensor on his Lightspeed had failed and it was advancing 45 degrees :eek: This may cause glazing of the barrels and blow by, high oil temps and high CHTs and even detonation.

LSE is failsafe with spark timing reverting to static (16* or 21* depending upon CR) if the MP source is interrupted or the MP sensor in the black box fails.