JimWoo50

Well Known Member
I started my 0-320-b3b with chrome cylinders for the first time last week. Actually started it four times with the longest run maximum rpm 1000 for a span of one minute and fifteen seconds. All was good. Checked both mags, all engine gauges worked and fed fuel from both tanks.

I am aware that to properly break in the chrome cylinders I have to run it hard until the rings seat. But I certainly would like to run the engine for longer than a minute before I take to the runway. Can I run on the ground for a couple of minutes whilst monitoring the temps and not worry about glazing my cylinders?

You won't find out anything meaningful about temperatures by ground running the engine for a few minutes. But you will risk glazing the cylinders.

I think the best advice is to taxi to the end of the runway, do a runup to bring the oil temp into the yellow (preheating isn't a bad idea either), and depart immediately. On departure, forget about the engine gauges from when you begin the takeoff roll until you're safely off the ground.

Thanks.

I was planning on doing pretty much what you suggested. Make my taxi test and warm up on the way to the runway, run it up and go. Would like to start it one more time before the big day just to double check for leaks though.

I think the best advice is to taxi to the end of the runway, do a runup to bring the oil temp into the yellow (preheating isn't a bad idea either), and depart immediately. On departure, forget about the engine gauges from when you begin the takeoff roll until you're safely off the ground.

I'm not advocating fast taxi tests, but no slow taxi tests (other than from the hanger to the run-up area) before first flight? No conditioning of the brake pads?

Also, I can't tell from the original post whether this engine has been run in a test cell or not, but would the advice/concern about glazing the cylinders change if whoever built the engine ran the engine in a test cell before shipping to the builder? In my case, Aerosport Power ran mine for 1.5 hours before shipping it to me. What restrictions should I be following re: engine starts and use prior to first flight?

Last edited:
Engine Run In

I know that this is going to sound ridiculous but I have had 4 engines majored during my flying carreer. They were a Contential O300, a lycoming 320 (twice) and a Lycoming 540. All these engines were done by the same mechanic. His instructions to me post overhaul of all of these engines was the same regarding break in...Take off and climb at full power to 10,000 feet, cruise there for about an hour at high power but not full power, descend under power and land....break in is over...I have done with with all the engines listed above and they have all run beautifully since this procedure was used...I think this will garner some comments...

Engine Oil

Yes...changed after 5 hours...went to Phillips XC after that...never had an engine issue since...