johnpstoll

I'm New Here
I am new to aircraft engines and need some help with a few questions.

I have the chance to buy a Lycoming helicopter engine, but it's in pieces and needs a major overhaul. The engine is a HIO-360D1A. Can this engine be used on my RV?

What components are normally replaced during an overhaul? What components must be replaced? (i.e. cylinders, pistons, valves)

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

Helicopter engines.

I bought a heli engine once thinking I would get a deal on it. It depends on if it was installed vertically or is a horz mounted. THe verticle mounted ones have different assy case and sumps. Mine was also conical mounted (which if it is the Super Cub guys loves these cases). If is a horz mounted engine then you might be OK. But they can still have some different parts in them like the cylinders and camshaft. Mine had a different cam because it was running at 2800rpm all the time and it also had lower compression pistons on it. It would be good to get a Lycoming manual and see what parts are comparable to a360-A1A or a similar model. If its been sitting in pieces I would also be suspicious about rust. Look at the crankshaft journals for pitting or grooves. Having to buy a new crank can kill the deal instantly. I would also ask for a guarantee on the case and crank to be servicable. Also, overhauling a engine is a real process and to do it right it usually cost about as much as some of the new ECI Titan engines. I have overhauled several engines and I finally just bought a new one because it cheaper and your parts are new. If you can get this engine for almost nothing then you can come out on top. Usually you only have to replace the bad parts. Overhaul the cylinders but put all new valves and pistons back in for peace of mind. If the engine is very low time and all parts spec out then your are really just paying for the parts to be overhauled and the consumables like gaskets and o rings.

Last edited:
i did the same thing

I purchased a hio-360d1a w 670ttsn for 4k....with log books I might add. Well anyway, I tore it all down to have the case machined...converted from a conical mount to dynafocal, changed the camshaft to one for an aircraft. The d1a cam is different... the compression ratio is also 10-1...so I also changed the pistons and had the cyls overhauled. Good news is that when I checked the crank it was still within new limits. The connecting rods are a bit beefier than the a1's. the prop flange is a bit thicker too, I think. You will also have to change the servo, sump...forward facing if you wish, and fuel spider. I would get the overhaul manuals...ad's, service bulls, and a video....and have at it.

have fun with it....

thanks

Thanks Carl,

THat helps a lot. I still have sometime before I have to overhaul it, but at least I have an idea where to start. Where did you get your replacement parts? I was looking at a few websites today for parts. I see it's more difficult to get parts for the D1A engine. I think I will have to get all new cylinders for my engine.

John

Thanks

I forgot my manners. Thanks Aden for the help. I may email you both in the future for a bit of advice, if that would be OK?

THanks,

John