whd721

Well Known Member
I am approx six months to a year from buying an engine.

My question is where do you watch or follow to find a "deal" from the major vendors? Do any of them have sales? deals?, promotions? better time of the year to buy? I will be looking for a RV9A FP, O320 probably .

I can time my buy if it helps.

Thanks for any guidance.

Engine.

Take your time and really nail down what you truly want. Obviously o or io decision needs to be made early. I have chatted with many people that bought used, and its certainly saves money but with the experimental new series now on the market...most wish they had paid the extra and bought a brand new engine. No issues, no skeletons, no big fat bills you didnt expect.
I have done a ton of work on all this. Fun but frustrating. At Osh this year I will put down a deposit. There are LOTS of great builders. I narrowed it down to Aerosport, Mattituck and Lyco from Vans. The prices are all pretty close.
Vans will offer a good deal on their experimental. Likely free shipping, crating etc and maybe an extra $$ few off. Further you get roller tappets included if that makes a difference. Mattituck and Aerosport will likley have promo deals at Osh that will save $500, or maybe $1000 off their web prices. Sometimes free shipping. No huge discounts. If you dont need the engine yet, i would wait. I wanted to order last year and didnt, i have found lots of stuff to do to keep busy and keep my $25K elsewhere. I am sure the first day or two of Osh a few of us will post the details of engine specials. Most engine shops will honour their prices for the whole week and you dont have to be at OSH to take advantage. My winner so far (it changes) is Mattituck red gold package, 3yr warranty from first start, experimental, no roller tappets and one mag, one lightspeed crank. Gorgeous engine, great reputation, and it just feels better giving that money to a firm with a guy like Mahlon then to Lyco. Not saying that is the best way to decide..just what i am doing and will firm it up NEXT WEEK. Good luck!

Last edited:
Barrett

After searching the used and salvage markets I just didnt like what I found. I know a few people have found great deals out there but I just couldn't find them. I had already bought a used engine on my used plane and had to overhaul it two years in to it, so my used engine experience was tarnished anyway. After several references from good mechanics, doing a lot of research on engine builders, and talking to them on the phone I was really impressed with Barrett Precision Engines. I will be paying a little more but the extras such as custom paint, machining, dyno run and result are worth it just to mention a few. They have been the best people to do buisiness with that I've ever dealt with. I'm trying to be budget minded on everything else but the engine is something I was willing to splurge on.
If you make it to OSH my O-320 will be on display at the Barrett booth, I definately recommend giving them a chance.

I bought a new engine. I figured I'm building a new plane; it needs to be a NEW plane. Since I'm pay-as-you-go, I wasn't in debt by the time I purchased the engine; so I used home equity and just make car payment-type monthly payment.

I knew nothing about buying a plane and when I posted for help, I got one of those lectures that the forums can occasionally be famous for . (A guy that forgot his roots; it happens)

So I called Mahlon and told him I don't know anything about engines and he guided me through.

It was never a question who I'd buy the engine from; my plane is all about going with the companies that have the best reputation for customer service and quality.

I wrote about it here. My one regret is I didn't just wait for two months and order it as Oshkosh and get the $500 show discount. Heck, I only put it on two weeks ago; it was really stupid of me not to wait and save the money.

I did the Sun n Fun Van's/Lycoming sale. Special price for an IO-320, free shipping, $1K off the propeller, hard to beat.

I did consider a used O-320. I probably could have saved a lot of money going that way, but you never know.

Here is a Cinveralla Story. It can happen......

While building my 6, I was very patient. I followed Barnstormers & Ebay. One day about 2:00 pm, I was on Ebay and saw this Ad: Two zero timed O360A1A's for sale, all accessories. New Millenum Cyls and Lasar Ignitions. "If you get here in the next two days with a certified check for $23,000.00, you can have both".

I called the guy and he was needing money for his business, better than that he worked for FAA. I called the engine shop that overhauled the engines and chatted with them for a few minutes, the engines were real and certified, all logs. I threw a few clothes in a bag, walked out the door within 30 minutes.
My wife ask me where I was going "I said the bank". She ask where are you going after that? My reply was "Alabama". I got there the next morning, helped he and his AP remove the engines from his Travel Air, was back by that night.

I ended up selling the second engine for about $17k, people were fighting over it. Both engines are now in flying airplanes and haven't missed a beat.

Caution: For each story you hear like this, 100 more are nightmares. I'm not bragging about this, I just got extremely lucky, but it does happen. You just have to be ready to take action, check it out carefully and be patient.

I also bought a Brand New dual AHRS GRT Horizon I & EIS on Ebay for $7k, all was still in the original packing, all warranties in place.

Never hurts to look & be aware, but you always need to check it out and ACT FAST.

Thanks for the input and advice. I am fairly certain that I will install a new, FP, o320 with a simple VFR panel. Since I bought this RV9A as a project, I am very uncertain about how long it will take to finish. To date , I have had to move it twice and have spent most of my time deconstructing it to fix things I uncovered as I tried to finish an area. It is a hobby I guess!

Thanks for the help.

Aerosport or Mattituck are hands down the best. Meticulously balanced and assembled and painted to your specs. The one big thing I hate about a new Lycoming is spending all that money and they look like a grey lump of **** with no attention to detail. I have an O-320 ECI roller cam engine built by Bart at Aerosport for the Cub. Flowed, balanced and it looks like a work of art. Don

Aerosport or Mattituck are hands down the best. Meticulously balanced and assembled and painted to your specs. The one big thing I hate about a new Lycoming is spending all that money and they look like a grey lump of **** with no attention to detail. I have an O-320 ECI roller cam engine built by Bart at Aerosport for the Cub. Flowed, balanced and it looks like a work of art. Don

Since I fly over Twin Falls often.......... I'll keep the cowl on to hide my ugly grey Lyc... :D

BTW-- Shoshone Falls looked great from the air a few weeks ago!

L.Adamson --- RV6A