sactu1

I'm New Here
Greetings.

First time poster. Now that I've sold my Sonex, my next project is the RV-8A. I'm looking at the IO-360M1B with a Sensenich fixed pitch propeller, and was intersted if anyone else has this combo, and their thoughts/experiences. The reason for FP is to keep it as light as possible, and I'll be flying from long sealed strips for 99.9% of the time.

Thanks,
Jim Lewis
Canberra, Australia

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Greetings.

First time poster. Now that I've sold my Sonex, my next project is the RV-8A.

Thanks,
Jim Lewis
Canberra, Australia

Jim, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

Great to have you aboard.

You might want to reconsider the nose wheel thing;);)

Have fun. :D

Greetings.

First time poster. Now that I've sold my Sonex, my next project is the RV-8A. I'm looking at the IO-360M1B with a Sensenich fixed pitch propeller, and was intersted if anyone else has this combo, and their thoughts/experiences. The reason for FP is to keep it as light as possible, and I'll be flying from long sealed strips for 99.9% of the time.

Hi Jim, I see you have made your choice of an 8A. Great choice. You will LOVE that aircraft. I have a neighbor that has a Harmon rocket and he helped a friend build an 8A. After flying the finished 8A he said if he had it to do all over again................ he would build an 8A also.

The fixed pitch prop will work well for you. It is a good combo. If you DON'T NEED a C/S prop, then don't buy one. But do understand what each one will do for you. A fixed pitch prop will save you thousands of dollars. The "A" model will allow you to see things on the ground before you taxi into them. Thousands more saved............. but a good way to upgrade your motor. (inside joke!)

Do understand how to control the 8A on the ground and you will do just fine. Go for it!!

Last edited:
... The "A" model will allow you to see things on the ground before you taxi into them. Thousands more saved.............

Ouch!

Maybe, but it is one way to get your insurance company to buy you a new engine with an extra 45 HP. ;)

Welcome Jim. Good choice, the RV I'm talking about, any RV.

Ouch!

Maybe, but it is one way to get your insurance company to buy you a new engine with an extra 45 HP. ;)

Welcome Jim. Good choice, the RV I'm talking about, any RV.

GEEZZZZ...... I was going to say _ _ _ _ _ but I decided to tone it down, and you still caught it. Sorry if I opened an almost healed wound.

Just think, with 45 more HP, you can taxi faster.................:D

Hi Jim, I see you have made your choice of an 8A. Great choice. You will LOVE that aircraft. I have a neighbor that has a Harmon rocket and he helped a friend build an 8A. After flying the finished 8A he said if he had it to do all over again................ he would build an 8A also.

The fixed pitch prop will work well for you. It is a good combo. If you DON'T NEED a C/S prop, then don't buy one. But do understand what each one will do for you. A fixed pitch prop will save you thousands of dollars. The "A" model will allow you to see things on the ground before you taxi into them. Thousands more saved.............

Do understand how to control the 8A on the ground and you will do just fine. Go for it!!

Thanks for the feedback. I understand there are two camps with regards to conventional or tri-grear, and I have flown and enjoyed the Citabria and TW Sonex. But my personal preference leans toward the nose-wheel 8A for the view out the front on taxi, and I find it easier to land a tri-gear in a cross-wind. They both look great IMHO, especially with good paint jobs - I'm particularly taken with the recently flown 8A that looks like a Navy T-34 (or whatever the Navy called them). I'm not into aeros, but love the tandem configuration of the 8s.
Thanks again!

Jim