Kjkbcaptain

I'm New Here
I am putting together a new 8 project. I am an inexperienced builder and would like to know if anyone has experience with the IO-360 200hp and the MT prop combination.

I am doing the IO360 200hp but haven't decided on a prop yet. I have a little concern about using a MT though. I have seen a lot of problems out of them on certified planes and one with an experimental. Trying to track the information down to see if it is an isolated thing or not. Had one guy have to wait on a new set of blades that came by boat from Germany. Needless to say he wasn't a happy camper. I am new to building also. The people here seem pretty helpful so maybe we can both get an answer.

I'm running that combination on my RV8A. Just got certified and only two flights so far. No hard data, but subjectively: smooth running throughout RPM range, very responsive to prop changes. I like it.

I am doing the IO360 200hp but haven't decided on a prop yet. I have a little concern about using a MT though. I have seen a lot of problems out of them on certified planes and one with an experimental. Trying to track the information down to see if it is an isolated thing or not. Had one guy have to wait on a new set of blades that came by boat from Germany. Needless to say he wasn't a happy camper. I am new to building also. The people here seem pretty helpful so maybe we can both get an answer.

We had a guy on our field with a 3 blade MT prop. He accidently damaged the tip on one blade pulling the plane out of the hangar. You would think no big deal, but he had to return the entire prop to Germany for repairs. It took 6 months and cost a boat load of money, $4K if I remember right including shipping. Insurance paid, but wow.

Just a data point, I'm not bashing MT.

Last edited:
Yeah I guess I better inject that I am not bashing MT. I just wanted to share problems I have seen. The incredible down time would be the truly frustrating part.