cropdusterdave

Well Known Member
I'm looking for advice.

I'm looking at buying an O-320 E2D prop strike engine that has been disassembled and sent in. Basically what I'd have would be a case, flange, crankshaft, mains, and pins that have been re-worked yellow tagged. The cylinder assemblies have been sitting in a box since 1989 when it was taken off the airplane. The cam is bad. The starter and alternator are paperweights. The mags could be overhauled. The accessory case already has provisions for a mechanical fuel pump. He also has a harmon crossover exhaust but I can't remember if he was including that or not.

Asking price is $6500.00

Needs:
new cylinders (probably)
cam and lifter kit
mags overhauled
starter
alternator
oil filter adapter

Any opinions?

I'll either do something like this or get a running takeout from Wentworth. The attraction to me here is an overhauled engine from a core with known variables for my new RV-7 at what seems to be a reasonable finished price. Is there anything I'm missing? Any big pitfalls that I'm not seeing?

Seems high to me considering what it'll cost you to buy all the stuff that isn't included.

Is a carb included? How about rods, cam followers, hydraulic adjusters, mag gears, pushrods and tubes, etc? Those things alone could easily set you back $1500. Add that to $6k for the other stuff you listed plus bearings, gaskets, and someone's time to assemble it, and you're looking at a $15k engine.

Keep your eyes open and you can probably find a factory new 0-360 for $19k at SnF or Osh... I'd say that $4k is a small price to pay for a new engine, warranty, and 20 more HP.

Also, resale on an RV-7 will be be higher and quicker with the 0-360..

I bought an E2A from an estate sale for 2K. Its a runout, no logs, but wasn't a prop strike engine, and granted, I got a good deal. $6500 is way too much for a prop strike engine that's disassembled with known bad parts.

you could probably put $10k into it and still may risk failure in the future is something is missed or stressed.

you could probably put $10k into it and still may risk failure in the future is something is missed or stressed.

If that is the case, you can buy an ECi kit engine for the same or less and you have a brand new engine when you are finished.

I went with ECI 2 years ago. $16k for the complete kit including accessories (fuel pump, carb, mags & harness) and shipping.

Went the core route - not again

I bought a rebuildable core about five years ago - ended up having to replace the case. Got the engine back together this summer. If I needed another engine I would get a ECI engine kit and have all new parts.

I would look long and hard at some new engine prices. Having recently gone through replacing an engine, that task is one I never hope to do again (unless it is such an incredible upgrade I can't resist...).

If I were starting from scratch, I'd get the next bigger motor with low compression pistons so I could burn auto gas.