Berchmans

Well Known Member
All,
I am planning on installing a fuel injected IO 360 horizontal induction engine on the RV8 I have under construction. I am currently working on layout and assembly on the panel and electrical systems. The question I have concerns the priming of a fuel injected engine. Is the engine primed for starting? Does it use the push plunger system used in carb engines? Or is this activated when I turn on the fuel pump or do I need another switch?...just wondering if I need to added something more to the panel and wiring.

Burke:

There is no dedicated primer. Prior to a cold start, an electric fuel pump is typically turned on briefly to prime.

erich

Now that you know that, do a search for starting a fuel injected engine. It is not hard, but an acquired skill. It took a bit for me learn how to reliably hot start the same engine.

Switch Type

You can simply use an ON-OFF switch for your fuel pump. I used an ON-OFF-(ON) with the (ON) [shorthand for momentary] as the "prime" position. There are, on occasion such as a hot start, where a little fuel pressure boost is helpful.

It is positioned such that I can hit it with my hand still on the throttle.

What the heck... I had the switch anyway.

Don