apkp777

Well Known Member
Hey all,

I ordered the engine primer kit from Van's. Just curious where you installed it.

I was thinking right next to the gascolator. However, I am not sure if there will be interference with other installations.

Anyone have a picture they can point me to?

Thanks!

Here is what I did. I bought a heavy duty hex nipple from McMaster Carr.

This does require removing the gascolator to remove the solenoid but I do not expect to ever have to do that.

The engine would fall off before that nipple would break, it is heavy duty!!!!

314w3u0.jpg

Hey Tony;
I am building a 7A and I put mine on the starboard side to the left side of my gascolator and along the side of the firewall. I built an appropriate mount from some scrap angle. The primer tubing T's at the low middle of the accessory case and I then used the motor mount to stand off the connecting tubing to the primer. I have finished the FWF and it did not interfere with any other installation.

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

Cool! Both look like great solutions. I had in mind to do something like 129TG's. I have the Van's gascolator like Brantel's. Brantel's installation is definitely simple. I like simple. I hadn't thought of just attaching it direct to the gascolator. The fitting has to be strong, looks like the one you used is. Do you have the part number for that fitting by chance?

I think it was a McMaster Carr # 48805K81 but doublecheck to ensure it fits your needs.

It is a close hex nipple, stainless, heavy duty.

On Firewall next to Gascollator

primer4un9.jpg

primer3pv5.jpg

primer2nv4.jpg

primer1my4.jpg

I used Loctite on the screws holding the solenoid to the bracket and I lock wired around the pipe fittings and through holes drilled in the mounting bracket. I also put a "flex coil" in the pipe between the engine and the engine mount fixing points to allow for engine movement on the AV mounts.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1

Last edited:
Primer solenoids? That reminds me... I have a brand new one in the box, never used. I intended to install a primer system but decided against it. Looks like ACS has 'em at $51.75; anyone want mine for 40 bucks? I'll cover shipping.

Need some quick help. I'm at work trying to order and don't have the numbers handy. In order to do what Brantel did, I would need (I believe) a 1/4 NPT x 1/4 NPT hex fitting. However, if I chose to use the upper port on the gascolator to connect to the primer solenoid directly, rather than the larger side port, I'm thinking I'll need to order a 1/8 NPT x 1/8 NPT hex fitting. Is that correct? (I'm trying to avoid using copper line on that always-pressurized segment b/w the gascolator and solenoid.) Thanks.