What year was the engine built?

If you could cut open the filter, Check the screen, send off a sample.

Take off the valve covers and look for rust on the inside of the covers.

Where has the engine been most of its life, PHX or MIA can make a difference

What airframe was it on?

Need more info for everyone to jump in on this one.

Engine was built in 1990, mounted on a Supercub.

I haven't seen it yet. 200 miles from here.

Forgot to say he wants $12,500, which seems a little high to me.

RScott said:
Engine was built in 1990, mounted on a Supercub.

I haven't seen it yet. 200 miles from here.

Forgot to say he wants $12,500, which seems a little high to me.
Just my .02...

Considering you can get an overhauled engine from Aerosport with 0 hours for $15K (including most accessories), his price seems high. If TBO is 2000 hours, you're going to pay $16 per hour in acquisition cost for this engine by the time you get to that next overhaul. If you buy a 0-hour overhaul from Aerosport, your acquisition cost by the time you get to your next overhaul would be $7.50 per hour. There obviously could be other factors involved though.

I too had seriously considered looking for a mid-time engine to cut my construction costs. Not even considering all the mechanical unknowns in buying mid-times, however, I've never really found a mid-time where it made $$ sense given what I could get from Aerosport. Additionally, whatever comes from Aerosport comes with an Aerosport reputation.

Good luck with your decision making.

Last edited:
I started out with the same intent as Steve, but have found the same thing. The question marks associated with a used engine - even with logs - tell me the Aerosport power route makes w-a-y more sense for something on which my life will depend. If I REALLY wanted to save $5k to $7k, I'm convinced the engine is NOT the place. :)

Rupester
Mahomet, IL
RV-9A, QB fuse

17 years since new is a consideration. Lyc says 12 years and the engine gets torn down.

Last edited:
asav8tor has it about right, IMHO. I used a mid-time engine and believe it is a good idea, but it has to be at the right price. I got a hurricane-Charlied engine off a 6A for exactly what you quote, BUT it had engine mount, exhaust, baffles, oil cooler, plumbing, B&C alternator and nose gear with it. Also had only 885 hr TTSN. Prices have probably gone up a little since then. I talked to the original owner who had nothing to gain as he had his insurance check in hand and was assured it was in excellent condition. 80 hours later, I know he was right. Looks like 9000-10,000 tops, although I REALLY liked not having to break in a new engine during my test flying. Also, the savings can allow you to spend a few more bucks on your panel. Save up for the OH down the road.

Bob Kelly

How many people are going to make 2000 hours on the same plane?? I'd guess very few. 1000 hours to TBO is a LOT of flying. We all plan to own forever but it's not realistic. Needs and missions change, medicals get lost, finances may be much better or worse in the future.

Invest the 5k saved and if it takes you 15 years to reach TBO it may pay for the overhaul?

Just some thoughts.

I wish more people would fly behind mid-timed engines. Your 1990 engine is relatively new - it's been flying a nice number of hours per year so it's probably not rusty, but the price needs to come down to around $9-10K.

The 10-12 year lycoming teardown thing is one of those certified CYA/wives tales/hogwash! Sure, if it's been SITTING for 10-12 years, then definately it's due. But, if it's been flying lets say 100 hrs per year and now has 1100 hrs on it, then to tear down a pefectly good running engine that isn't making metal, has good compressions and is pretty AD straight, is kind of crazy....

If your budget is tight, and you don't want to be the guy test flying both a new engine, new airplane and/or new pilot all in the same combination, then a running engine makes perfect since.

Anyway, my general take on this is don't let people scare you from buying a used engine. Sure there are lemons out there, but there are also a lot of diamonds! You'll hear a lot of "I heard you should do this and I heard you should do that", but the fact of the matter is a good used engine at the right price is a great buy for an RV! In this case though, anything much above $10K is too much, as others have said.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein.

P.S....now ask me about buying a 10 year old "mid timed" audio panel and my opinion is a little bit different :)

Don't forget the fuel pump

Since this came off a high wing Piper, there is probably no fuel pump. I'm not sure on this point but you need to look into it.

My O-290-D2 came out of an early Super Cub and didn't have a fuel pump. The conversion was easy but it required me to purchase a new accessory case, cam gear, fuel pump push rod, gaskets, and gasket sealant.

As I said, the conversion is easy to do. Even if you have the correct accessory case and cam gear, I doubt the push rod is in there so you will have to remove the sump and accessory case. (The sump has to come off first to remove the accessory case.)

Just another data point.
I picked up an O320-D2G about 2 years ago that was involved in a prop strike. Engine was torn down (by certified engine shop) and inspected as per Lycoming instructions. Basically a zero time on bottom end rebuild. Had new fuel pump installed since it was off a 172. Engine had 932 hrs since new (Lycoming) and was built in 1999. I paid $12,500 for this yellow taged/certified engine. Perhaps a little high priced but perhaps not. With an average of 100hrs/year I'm thinking that it will last another 10 plus years.