jsharkey

Well Known Member
I bought a new Lycoming through Van's and it arrived "pickled" or filled with a preservation oil and with a notice saying (1) not to turn it over and (2) that it was good for 60 days, however it will be a year before I get to first start. Anyone else have experience of storing a "pickled" engine for this length of time?
Jim Sharkey

I am no engine guru so take what I say accordingly.

If it were me, I would store the engine inverted so the camshaft is bathed in oil and then not worry about it. You could also install some desicant plugs as some insurance to remove any moisture from the cylinders.

This is what I did with a midtime 0320-E2D that I stored for just short of 2 years with no ill effects. Of course the environment in which you are storing the engine in will play a factor.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

I attached my new TMX O-360 to a rotating engine stand and faithfully rotate it once a month to make sure everything is coated with oil. I also installed dessicant plugs in the cylinders and bagged to whole engine in a sealed plastic storage bag with a 5 lb. bag of desiccant that I regenerate twice a year in my honey's oven. Every time I have checked it, it looks just as it did when I picked it up at Mattituck. I suppose its a little over-kill but all it takes is a little effort.

I think he was referring to rotating the whole engine on his engine stand, not turning over the crankshaft.

painless said:
I think he was referring to rotating the whole engine on his engine stand, not turning over the crankshaft.
That's correct. I don't turn the crank at all.

Dehydrator Plugs

Just curious, but what's the correct temp and time to rejuvinate the dehydrator plugs?

Jim

Stored for 7 years

My new, in the box, Lycoming engine was in storage for six years and another year on the fuselage before first starting. I did nothing special at all to the engine. Before first start I removed the bottom four plugs and drained the oil that was in the cylinders. Then I cranked the engine until I got oil pressure. Then I repalced the plugs and fired it up. It now has over 450 hours and is perfect. Burns practially no oil, has good compression and runs fine. I got all sorts of bad advice about the engine. One guy actually said that I had to tear it down first to inspect for rust. Another suggested that I fill the crankcase untill I couldn't get any more oil in it and turn it upside down. The call to Lycoming settled it. I just did what they said.

Bruce Reynolds
RV-6A
Over 450 trouble free hours

Filling the crankcase completely with oil isn't a bad idea. It works fine, just don't forget to drain it completely.

Some just do it right...

I have no idea who pickled my engine back in 1959 but when I pulled the cylinders this is what I found:

All the steel parts in the inside; crank, cam, etc., looked just as good.

Once I got it home, I just kept desiccant plugs in it and stored it next to my dehumidifier.

Bruce Reynolds said:
My new, in the box, Lycoming engine was in storage for six years and another year on the fuselage before first starting. I did nothing special at all to the engine. Before first start I removed the bottom four plugs and drained the oil that was in the cylinders. Then I cranked the engine until I got oil pressure. Then I repalced the plugs and fired it up. It now has over 450 hours and is perfect. Burns practially no oil, has good compression and runs fine. I got all sorts of bad advice about the engine. One guy actually said that I had to tear it down first to inspect for rust. Another suggested that I fill the crankcase untill I couldn't get any more oil in it and turn it upside down. The call to Lycoming settled it. I just did what they said.

Bruce Reynolds
RV-6A
Over 450 trouble free hours

That's what I was hoping to hear - thanks!
Jim Sharkey

450 hours is a long way from TBO. I too have a new ECI engine in storage. It is filled with oil, preservative sprayed in the spark plug holes, dryer beads in the exhaust and plug holes and it's inverted. Roll it over twice a year. Is covered with a blanket and small oil heater in the winter to keep humidity down in the foggy nights. It's the best I could do after reading all the literature and considering the investment!

RVadmirer said:
450 hours is a long way from TBO. I too have a new ECI engine in storage. It is filled with oil, preservative sprayed in the spark plug holes, dryer beads in the exhaust and plug holes and it's inverted. Roll it over twice a year. Is covered with a blanket and small oil heater in the winter to keep humidity down in the foggy nights. It's the best I could do after reading all the literature and considering the investment!
Sounds good but I think my wife would get jealous! :)