If all looks good and no red flags found would you

• A) rebuild engine before fitting

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • B) rebuild engine after completing fitting and doing cowl work but before 1st flight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C) rebuild engine after test flying period

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Vansrv7arob

Well Known Member
G'day,

I'm going to help/observe a LAME remove a A4M I've purchased from a flying club's Piper Archer III next week for my RV7 project which is still 3-4 years away from flying and engine will be stored in longitudinally rotating stand in relatively consistent cool dry location (+15 degree Celsius to +20 degree Celsius) (59 degrees Fahrenheit to 68 degrees Fahrenheit)

The club is located away from the coast and the Australian climate is particularly low humidity.

The plan is to do a final run up then carry out instructions as per Lycoming service letter L180B, I need to find the correct preservative oil here in Sydney Australia. Any suggested Leeds from people in the know?

MIL-C-6529C Type I concentrated preservative compound

Or

Cortec VC1-326

Does anyone have any comments as to what I should look or listen out for on final run-up and removal or any additional advice or alternatives on pickling not included in lycoming service letter.

All the engine details and history I have so far see link to google drive.
Engine Log Books L-24456-36A -

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4gKvcjfpZXeUkMyVHcyR1MxUTA/edit

Last service not shown but has been done and 120 hrs since last entry and I have stipulated that I get a copy of the full log book as a condition of purchase.

Engine last overhauled by Lycoming at service station Id: EJ1R115K (anyone know where this is any comments on what they likely replaced or quality of workmanship would Lycoming have a record of what work and parts replaced?) in 1995 at 3617Hrs TTIS.

Approx 600hrs after the rebuild it suffered a prop strike was bulk stripped inspected and reassembled.

A further 1800 approx hours have been put on since the bulk strip, still no signs of excessive wear, filter inspection shows no metal, compression tests are consistent 72-78 and still in flying aircraft and apparently running well.

New Mags fitted 250 and 350 hrs ago.

Any advice comments, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Would any one here consider completing ground tests, 1st flights and 25hrs test flying with this engine before rebuilding or should I rebuild before hand?

Clear skies,

Rob Lawrie ? SAAA Chapter 1 President

PS. Please visit and like our Facebook page!

E: Chapter01@saaa.com
M: 0419 489 200
W: SAAAChapter1.com
Facebook: SAAA-Chapter-1-Sydney-North
Google+: SAAA Chapter 1 -Sydney North

Get Skype and call me for free.

Mandatory parts replacement list

There is a list of parts that must be replaced for that engine, if it was done by the book they will have been changed. Google your engine model and "mandatory replacement parts". Also consider storing it upside down or in an auto engine stand. Then you can roll it over to a new position once in a while and keep everything coated in oil. You might also pull the rocker shafts so all the valves will be closed, then fill the cylinders with oil.
Tim

By the way I found the pickling oil finally today, none of the suppliers at Bankstown in Sydney Australia had it, called 3 wholesalers nationally none had in stock of any brand and would have to order in from US, finally found wholesaller in Melborne with some in stock.

Problem is only available in 4 x 1us gallon packs, at most I will open 2 gallons.

Any one else out there (Australia) interested in the other 2 gallons I had to buy?

If so can have for cost.

4 * 1 US Gallon packs, ie 15.14 Litres Phillips Anti Rust 20W50.

Now I just need to work out how much to use.