WISC

Well Known Member
I looked at a project today that has a new 0-320 engine. The engine was shipped on January 2002. It was tested on December 2001.

Supposedly the engine has never been ran once shipped. I am not sure what preparation should have been done while the engine has sat. It does have 8 quarts of oil in it.

Is there anything else that should have been done?

I assume that corrosion is still a concern even though it has not been ran????

Thank you,

If it was a factory new engine, it was probably pickled (preserved) at the factory. That would tend to extend the corrosion free period to some extent. Subsequent fogging of the engine with oil would have helped too, as would storing it in a climate controlled environment.

That said, the engine has been sitting for 15 years. Run a borescope into each cylinder, and if you like what you see, take the next step, which is probably pulling a cylinder to get a good look at the internals, particularly the cam, to evaluate what you might be buying. The chances are significant (and I can't put a number on that) that an engine sitting for 15 years will have corrosion somewhere that will impact its useful life.