N788RV

Is any one using a preheater on the XP-360 or have any recommendations. With the light weight composite sump I'm worried that a pad on the sump will be to hot or that by design of the sump it won't transfer the heat. When I buildt the engine Evan at Superior recommended the Tanis system which uses probes and heats from the top. The Tanis system is relatively expensive. I'm flying in Kansas mostly with the coldest temps I anticipate flying in are 10-20 deg F. I'm looking for some advice.

If I were to use a heater, it would be the Tanis. I have had two, one on a Lycoming and one on a Rotax. I live in Wisconsin and have not had trouble starting my RV-7A in temps to 20 deg. F. I have an attached hangar on our airport home, but we rarely heat it, except to work out there. I do not have a priming system nor a Tanis on this plane.

Roberta

With the composite sump a preheater won't work since it's none heat conducting. The new replacement cold air induction system will have an aluminum sump, and composite plenum, so the heat pad will work just fine.

Knick Curtis
Superior Air Parts

Preheater

I have used a homemade preheater for years on my Starduster and for 7 years on the RV4, with both an 0-320 and now an Xp-360. It consists of a ceramic heater with hardware store heater venting rivited to it with a stand to position it shooting up the rear lower air exit. This type of unit has the additional advantage of warming up the cockpit instruments. Trust me it is battle tested and is cheap. Roger Moore

XJPj-360 PreHeat

Thanks Knick, I just got off the phone with Evan and he said the same thing.

Last edited:
Superior-Sales said:
With the composite sump a preheater won't work since it's none heat conducting. The new replacement cold air induction system will have an aluminum sump, and composite plenum, so the heat pad will work just fine.

Knick Curtis
Superior Air Parts

That's true if the heating element is bonded to the exterior of the composite sump. But an immersion type heater screwed into one of the threaded outlets should work. At Oshkosh '05 Superior's booth was across the aisle from ours in Hangar A and a couple of the guys came over and asked me to develop such a heater for the composite sump. I asked for a sump for testing and they agreed, but I never got it. I've heard that sump is being discontinued so guess it's a moot issue if true. Can you clarify... is the composite sump being discontinued, or is the new one mentioned above another option IN ADDITION TO the composite sump?

I live in the cold Norway and need a heatersytem for my IO-360 Superior engine installed in a RV-7 within a year or so.

Trying to build the KISS-way, I've been looking at the Aerotherm System so far since it doesn't need anything mounted permanently on the aircraft.
They can also deliver suitable covers and a remote starter for example. All this looks pretty nice to me.

According to them, they'll deliver a 220 Volt version this fall, which is what what I need for use here in Norway.

Has anyone any experience with this system?
Web adr: http://aerothermheaters.com

Regards Alf Olav Frog / Norway

Hi.

Below is some info I've just gotten from Ryan Hill at Aerotherm Heaters.
www.aerothermheaters.com

They've just built a more powerful heater. Their system is my first choice since it requires no parts or components mounted on the engine or airframe itself.

Their website will be updated with this product shortly according to Ryan.

Regards Alf Olav Frog / Norway
RV-7 Finishing

Alf:
We have built an entirely new heater called the Deuce, it is based off the same concept and technology. It just has more CFM and heats quicker. It also comes with a unique and indestructible carrying case.

Unfortunately we still do not offer a 220V version but you can use a converter we have several customers overseas doing that and it works fine. Here is the website for the converters http://www.dvdoverseas.com/voltage_converters.htm.

We will not have 220V versions until next season as we are now just getting more of a demand.
Also the RV-7 has a small cowl opening and our hose is 4 inch in diameter, but our hose is collapsible and we have had people use it in the past, on the RV-7.
Once again thanks for your interest in our product and happy flying

Ryan Hill
Aerotherm Heaters Inc.