prkaye

Well Known Member
The next instruction in my firewall forwad kit says to install the engine power and ground wires... it refers to the wires provided in vans wiring harness kit. I plan to go with Stein's Master kit instead... will the equivalent wires in Stein's kit be compatible, or do I have to specify something specific when I order his kit?

Phil,

There should be a braided strap that you run from an engine case bolt to your airframe ground. I ordered a custom cable but, if I remember correctly, and it is possible I don't, that should be one included in the Van's wiring kit.

You can see mine in this picture:

Other grounds are "as needed" for specific equipment, things like the fuel flow and pressure.

Last edited:
The engine ground strap is quite important. It must be able to handle the same current load that you are putting into the starter.

The un-insulated flat braided strap is traditional, but any cable that can handle the current is fine.

Some motor mounts have a tab on them for the engine case to airframe ground cable to mount, while on others you need to take the cable back to the firewall.

Be sure to have clean, bare metal connections.

any suggestions on a source for the grounding strap? I'm not getting Vans wiring kit, and I haven't found this item on their webstore, or at Aircraft Spruce or on Stein's website...

any suggestions on a source for the grounding strap? I'm not getting Vans wiring kit, and I haven't found this item on their webstore, or at Aircraft Spruce or on Stein's website...

B&C has them

http://www.bandc.biz/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?26X358218

bbs-sm.jpg

****, wish i'd asked before I ordered my grounding block from them (on its way)! Anybody know a standard length strap that will work for a -9A slider/O-320 (carb) configuration?

Phil,

Make sure you pick a location and route for your cable to allow for the easy removal of your battery.

In the picture above, I have to lift the battery up, move it towards the center, and then lift it out of the plane.

With the oil pressure line running where it is, I figure it best just to parallel it with the ground strap.

(I can't give you a length because I have a longer than standard engine mount for light engine.)

One other thing, we like to see a secondary ground path from the engine to the fuselage. In my case, the oil and fuel pressure lines serve this function. I don't want to start that debate over again (it is on another thread, someplace), just want to give you an idea of a good practice. The secondary wire can be fairly small, just big enough to keep things running in flight, should your ground strap fail.

Last edited: