DickG

I just received my AD reworked cylinders and they are not painted. Can I go to the local auto parts store and buy high temperature paint to spray the engine? Or is there something special about aircraft paint? Does it matter what color I choose? I'm assuming I should use glossy enamel.

Thank you, Dick

If the engine is for certified use then you should use the paint and process specified by the manufacturer in the applicable overhaul manual. If it is for experimental use, any good grade automotive enamel will work fine. I would not use ant thing latex based.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

FWIW, a while back there was a discussion on CHT's and I found an article for some organization that had done some testing and found that a VERY light coat of paint reduced CHT's by up to 3% and a heavy coat or no paint at all increased CHT's marginally.

Thank you - the painting is done.

I bought Rustoleum automotive engine paint and sprayed a couple off light coats. the job is done. Now on the reassembly and fly again.:)

I bought Rustoleum automotive engine paint and sprayed a couple off light coats. the job is done. Now on the reassembly and fly again.:)

I painted mine with the same and I think its going to do very well.