Jimboscr

Well Known Member
I am confused (by the way this is not unusual). After 5 years I am getting close to firing up the engine and committing aviation. However I have had numerous opinions on which type of oil I should use. I have one of the 180 Hp fuel injected Lycomings that I bought via Vans. The book that came with it says that I should use ordinary? aircraft oil from the start, but elsewhere I have read or been told to use straight mineral oil for the first 20 or so hours.

Is there a definitive answer to this question? I would like some sagely advice and guidance from the guys here on the forum that have a lot more experience than I do.

Thanks

Jim

Lycoming has a Service Instruction (1014M) out on this. You should be able to download it from the Lycoming web site. Basically it says use mineral oil for the first 50 hours or until oil consumption has stabalized. Then go to ashless dispersant with a filter change.

-John

No definitive answer. Many claim breakin should be with straight mineral oil, but ECI recommends Phillips 20w-50 for both breakin and afterwards on their engines. Mike Busch of Savvy Aircraft Management also says the need for straight mineral oil at breakin is a myth. Many don't understand that the difference between the two is that the straight mineral oil does not include a dispersant agent. Take your pick. You will be fine either way.

Erich

the joy of breaking in a new engine. congrats on getting there.

i broke in two on my 6. i think the most important thing is to run it hard to get the job done. i went mineral for 50 hours or so. if you have a case of oil you might as well dump it at some point and refill again, and again, and again...........:)