woodmanrog

Well Known Member
Before mounting the engine last week, I read everything I could find on the forums about the process. What I generally read was the amount of trouble it was to do the lord mounts. With the help of a pro, I was able to mount our new IO390 in about 40 minutes and that included me being instructed what to do step by step. I thought I would write this in hopes that it assists other builders. Here's how it went:
1. first look at the diagram of the mounts and washers that are in the plans. We had the plans from an RV7 handy and they were quite explicit as to what went where.
2. Lay out the parts in the proper directions and make sure you use the correct bolt lengths for upper and lower.
3. Here are the "tricks": hopefully you have the engine on an engine hoist. If it isn't, it will be much harder to install.
4. Facing forward from the cockpit, install the LOWER right assembly first. This one is the easiest. Once the bolt is through the mount, install the 2 small washers and put the castle nut on hand tight.
5. Next install the LOWER left assembly in the same manner. Hand tight to allow movement.
6. Here is where it gets a little tricky. Have someone raise or lower the engine to get it in position for the upper mounts as close as possible.
7. Now install the UPPER right assembly (check the direction of the cones as they are opposite of the lower mounts) and hand snug the nut.
8. The UPPER left mount is the most difficult. Make sure all of the previous 3 nuts are on only enough to keep the engine from coming off its mount. This will allow some movement to align the 4th mount. Slip on the cones and large washer and then insert the bolt. This may require some assistance from the nut end of the mount with a guiding tool such as a round screwdriver to line up the pieces while inserting the bolt. I was able to actually maneuver the cones enough by hand to insert the bolt without the aid of a mallet. Hopefully this will be the case on your mount.
9. Once everything is in place, go to all four mounts and make sure everything is in alignment, then start snugging up the nuts. Turn the bolt in a position that you can see the cotter pin hole before tightening the nuts.
10. We then tightened all the nuts up till it felt like they were bottomed out. For some reason, this put the castle nut and cotter pin hole in the exact correct position.
11. Install the cotter pins and stand back to admire your work. Not as bad as you thought it was gonna be, was it? Now comes the fun stuff.

Last edited:
Before mounting the engine last week, I read everything I could find on the forums about the process. What I generally read was the amount of trouble it was to do the lord mounts. With the help of a pro, I was able to mount our new IO390 in about 40 minutes and that included me being instructed what to do step by step. I thought I would write this in hopes that it assists other builders. Here's how it went:
1. first look at the diagram of the mounts and washers that are in the plans. We had the plans from an RV7 handy and they were quite explicit as to what went where.
2. Lay out the parts in the proper directions and make sure you use the correct bolt lengths for upper and lower.
3. Here are the "tricks": hopefully you have the engine on an engine hoist. If it isn't, it will be much harder to install.
4. Facing forward from the cockpit, install the LOWER right assembly first. This one is the easiest. Once the bolt is through the mount, install the 2 small washers and put the castle nut on hand tight.
5. Next install the LOWER left assembly in the same manner. Hand tight to allow movement.
6. Here is where it gets a little tricky. Have someone raise or lower the engine to get it in position for the upper mounts as close as possible.
7. Now install the UPPER right assembly (check the direction of the cones as they are opposite of the lower mounts) and hand snug the nut.
8. The UPPER left mount is the most difficult. Make sure all of the previous 3 nuts are on only enough to keep the engine from coming off its mount. This will allow some movement to align the 4th mount. Slip on the cones and large washer and then insert the bolt. This may require some assistance from the nut end of the mount with a guiding tool such as a round screwdriver to line up the pieces while inserting the bolt. I was able to actually maneuver the cones enough by hand to insert the bolt without the aid of a mallet. Hopefully this will be the case on your mount.
9. Once everything is in place, go to all four mounts and make sure everything is in alignment, then start snugging up the nuts. Turn the bolt in a position that you can see the cotter pin hole before tightening the nuts.
10. We then tightened all the nuts up till it felt like they were bottomed out. For some reason, this put the castle nut and cotter pin hole in the exact correct position.
11. Install the cotter pins and stand back to admire your work. Not as bad as you thought it was gonna be, was it? Now comes the fun stuff.
Can you tell me the difference between IO 360 A1B6 and IO390 A3B6 because I have a IO360A1B6