TCONROY

Well Known Member
I'm sure these are fine but I figured I should ask anyway. The top two bolts that secure the engine mount to the fuselage are AN6-24. The plans say to use washers as necessary to get the castle nut aligned with the hole in the bolt. However, it seems very odd to have 3 0.62 washers behind a nut like this... Especially in such a crucial area. I looked in Van's catalog and the AN6-24 happens to be the smallest size they offer. I could easily order an AN6-23 from aircraft spruce and it would eliminate two of those washers.
Thoughts???
IMG_2504.JPG

Put one of them under the bolt head. Normally 1/8" (.125") is the max per 43-13, but... if the manufacturer authorizes "as required" then that would take precedence over 43-13. (3 washers would be .189")

It also looks to me like you may be able to use a thin washer in place of one of those thick ones.

Last edited:
That's what I did, Trevor, just like Walt said. Mine took 3 washers, too, but one of them is under the bolt head. :)

This weekend I took the bolts out and put one washer under the bolt head and then a regular and thin washer under the nut. The hole in the bolt lines up perfectly with the castle nut. Thanks guys!
IMG_2506.JPG