David Paule

Well Known Member
What have you been painting your engine mounts with, for those of you who didn't powder-coat it?

On my Cessna, I did powder-coat it and except where the paint's heat-damaged, it looks fine. But I know that stuff can hide damage. On my RV-3B, I've been thinking about a high-temp rattle-can spray paint.

Before I do that, though, what have you used and how has it held up?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi temp rattle can paint is what we used. And yes, it does scratch, but I can live with it.

Thanks, folks. I put some high temperature rattle-can paint and primer on order and we'll see how it holds up.

Dave

Maybe

Maybe more important than paint is color.
White is the optimum for seeing cracks.
I know many factory planes have black, but it is the worst for spotting problems.

My vote is for epoxy primer and 2 part topcoat.
The engine mount rarely comes completely off for repainting so do it right, it might be there for 20+years.

I know builders are not really into painting at the FWF stage.
Prepping a part is the real work, shooting the paint is easy. Take the prepped part to your local body shop and ask them to prime and paint it for you. They usually have primer and White on the shelf!
With todays cross linked paints it is only one paint session in the booth.

Last edited:
Boeing 707 Grey

I used Boeing 707 Grey, Poly Urethane over epoxy primer. The standard for almost all Boeing painted parts. Tough, fluid resistant and easy to see cracks. Used same for gear legs, tailwheel parts and spring.

I used Boeing 707 Grey, Poly Urethane over epoxy primer. The standard for almost all Boeing painted parts. Tough, fluid resistant and easy to see cracks. Used same for gear legs, tailwheel parts and spring.

I did the same for the mount except it is white. It is a bear to paint with all those nooks and crannies. I hung it by a bolt through one of the fuselage bolt bushings and spun it around as I painted it. it was a challenge but it came out nicely and the paint seems pretty tough.

What have you been painting your engine mounts with, for those of you who didn't powder-coat it?

Thanks,
Dave

19 or 20 years ago, I used Rustoleum rattle can Primer followed by Rustoleum light grey color rattle can on my RV-6 (over 3,000 hours flying). Has worked great. Plan to use the same on my RV-8 if the mount is not powder coated when I get it but may change the color.

Consider different colors for the primer and top coat...it'll get banged up during maintenance and if the primer is a different color, it will help assess. White top coat lends itself well to visual inspection.

Cheers,

Vac

Rustoleum gloss white is a great match with the Van's powder coat. I use it to touch up scratches. Takes a long time to dry, but it's very durable.