rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anyone know if anyone has built an engine mount that will allow easy change from nose to tail wheel? The fuselage I bought is set up for tail wheel, but I would like to have the option to change in the future. I know there are several other things in making the change, but the engine mount is the big one.

A bigger issue might be the internal weldments for the mains. I am no expert, but I do see quite a few nose wheel conversion to tailwheel. Not so many the other way around. I think it is much more difficult conversion.

Installing the weldments is not a problem, in fact not hard at all. I want the option to use either gear. Converting to tail wheel from A involves removing skin for the tail wheel mount. That is a much bigger job.

The shop you want to contact is "Custon Componants" in Tacoma WA. The owner/guy I talked to is Bruce McIntire. Phone is 253-272-5554. You need to order the "float plane engine mount". It has sockets for both the nose wheel and the tail wheel gear. He told me it adds 6 pounds to the mount. I put this mount on my 7a so I can put Floats on my 7a ( I live on a lake) when finished, or convert to a 7 later. I also put the tail wheel mount in the rear of the fuselage.

Mike and Jon,
Thanks for the info. I will make contacts and see what I come up with. Right now I am studying all the other things that would go into a change. With the rear wheel hardware already installed, most of the rest of it shouldn't bee too bad. There isn't a step on now, but I will have to figure out if that will work or some other way to get in and out when the nose wheel is on.