sirlegin

Well Known Member
I have narrowed down the engine monitor for my injected 320 160hp to either the Dynon D10 or the vm1000c. Does anyone have any thoughts as to which is the better choice besides the price? Panel space is not a problem. :confused:

I don't have experience with either of those, but you might look at the March Kitplanes, which I received in the mail this morning. It has an article on engine monitors. I use the GRT EIS, and think it is a very good onebrian

sirlegin said:
I have narrowed down the engine monitor for my injected 320 160hp to either the Dynon D10 or the vm1000c. Does anyone have any thoughts as to which is the better choice besides the price? Panel space is not a problem. :confused:
Shouldn't you at least consider the popular AF-2500 from Advanced Flight Systems? Lots of nice functionality and a lot of happy users out there.
http://www.advanced-control-systems.com/Products/AF-2500/AF-2500.html

Randy, I agree

randylervold said:
Shouldn't you at least consider the popular AF-2500 from Advanced Flight Systems? Lots of nice functionality and a lot of happy users out there.
http://www.advanced-control-systems.com/Products/AF-2500/AF-2500.html

All though I did make my choice about 18 months ago, so thing may have changed since then.
The things that I liked about the AF2500:
Everything that I needed was in the kit.
Included in the kit was a panel cutting template. I built my own panel and would have paid extra money to get this template if need.

Kent

Dynon EMS-D10

I picked up a used EMS-D10 and have been very happy with it. The price was right and mounting in the 3.125" hole is a breeze. Dynon support is great (online and telephone) and they have enhanced the product with firmware upgrades every few months.

I transitioned in a plane with the AFS 2500 and it is a nice unit, too.

EDM 930

If you can find a better display, fuller function, Engine, Fuel, management system at any price, buy it. Very well supported, certified versions avialable (at a lot higher $$, but basically the same). Flying in a lot of RV's.
My personal choice of many excellent products on the market.

AF2500

Have to agree with the AF2500. Great piece of equipment that is far more than just an engine monitor. If doing again I would go with the Advanced Systems EFIS and engine monitor combination. Rob Hickman of Advanced is an RV guy and insures stuff works!!!

The VM unit has had some performance issues and company issues. A search should reveal them.

Good luck

I have the older VM-1000. I like it a lot but have had several problems with it, mainly the back-lighting. The technician has been difficult to get ahold of. Once I talked to him, I have had good service.

This seems to have changed. Vision Microsystems has been purchased by JPI and has recently moved to Texas. JPI is notorious for bad customer service. I have read many reports of people having difficulty getting hold of VMS since the purchase. Because of the JPI connection, I would not buy a VM-1000 or -1000C. I also recommend that you stear clear.

I also will never give JPI a single penny of my money.

Karl

The AF2500 is a great unit and by all accounts Rob is a great guy (heck...his kids man his booth at fly-ins which I think is very cool)...but that must be weighed against the fact that the AF2500 costs almost twice as much ($4665 incl. probes) as the Dynon EMS D-10 ($2500.00 incl probes & flow transducer). What does the AF2500 give you that the Dynon doesn't? From my understanding the primary difference is the AF2500 has an arguably better screen, internal logging features and voice annunciation instead of simple alert tones like the Dynon has.

Certainly the AF2500 is a better unit, but if your goal is to ascertain which is the better VALUE I think the Dynon wins hands-down.

I guess it's about how much dinero you have. I got my new Dynon EFIS & EMS (which also means I have a nice HSI thrown in for 'free') for less than the price of the AF2500 unit.

Update: The AF2500 prices I listed in this post were confirmed to be incorrect but Rob. Be sure to read the entire thread for explanation.

Last edited:
RV8N said:
I have the older VM-1000. I like it a lot but have had several problems with it, mainly the back-lighting. The technician has been difficult to get ahold of. Once I talked to him, I have had good service.

This seems to have changed. Vision Microsystems has been purchased by JPI and has recently moved to Texas. JPI is notorious for bad customer service. I have read many reports of people having difficulty getting hold of VMS since the purchase. Because of the JPI connection, I would not buy a VM-1000 or -1000C. I also recommend that you stear clear.

I also will never give JPI a single penny of my money.

Karl
I am installing a VM1000C in my 8 and have made several calls to Texas for help and information . They had the answers and were very helpfull.

Dynon EMS D-10 experience

I have an EMS D10 in my flying 9A and I have it coupled the the Dynon EFIS D100. I have been very pleased with both units and with Dynon tech service. I have worked with a couple of guys who have AFS units. My unit does everything that I need at a better price. Also the D10 is more compact and that frees up panel space. I can display the EFIS or HSI pages on the D10 while I view the EFIS and EMS on the D100 (split screen) in front of the left seat pilot. I have the D10 on the right side and it allows the passenger (or right seat pilot) to use the EFIS and the HSI easily. The AFS unit is a very good monitor but in my opinion the Dynon is the best unit for the buck. If money and /or space is not a consideration get the AFS. It is bigger which makes it easier to read and does a few more things.

Larry Dickinson
RV-9A 106 hrs
Dunwoody, GA
KLZU

The AF-2500 is $3500 including the all the probes.

The AF-3400EM Engine Monitor is $2,541 not including the probes.

This months Kitplanes has a good article on engine monitors.

Not all the kids in the booth are actually mine... Some are actual electrical engineers that frequently get mistaken as one of Jennifer?s sons.

We had one customer today in person ask Jeffrey and Travis if they were going to get Electrical Engineering degrees? I had to explain that Travis actually already has one.

Jeffrey who was two years old and in his walker when I started the RV-4 actually turned 16 last month and soloed our Cessna 140. He has not yet flown the RV-4 from the front seat, although he did talk his way into the left seat of a new IO-390 powered Glasair Sportsman.

Sincerely,

Rob Hickman

I like my VM1000C

I have recently purchased a vm1000c and can report that it came complete with all senders, a metal template for panel cutout, and a nice set of bound instructions. I talked with the rep twice before receiving mine (it was backordered from aircraft spruce) and they were of great help. I wanted to see if I could get the instructions ahead of time (via email) to plan the panel while waiting for the unit. They didn't have them, but sent me a complete manual and template for free! Everything looks well made and packaged, and I consider it a bargain at $1900 complete.

Jamie said:
Sorry if I misrepresented the price Rob...but I think you're potentially losing customers by your pricing page...

http://www.advanced-control-systems.com/Pricing/pricing.html

...which clearly states that the AF-2500 is $3500.00 sans probes and sensors.

Scrolling down it says the 4 banger probe package is $1,165 -- adding them together is where I got the price.
Looks like the pricing has been fixed... apparently the AF-2500 is sold only as a complete package which INCLUDES the sensors, the EFIS screens are a la carte.

Larry D said:
I have an EMS D10 in my flying 9A and I have it coupled the the Dynon EFIS D100. I have been very pleased with both units and with Dynon tech service. I have worked with a couple of guys who have AFS units. My unit does everything that I need at a better price. Also the D10 is more compact and that frees up panel space. I can display the EFIS or HSI pages on the D10 while I view the EFIS and EMS on the D100 (split screen) in front of the left seat pilot. I have the D10 on the right side and it allows the passenger (or right seat pilot) to use the EFIS and the HSI easily. The AFS unit is a very good monitor but in my opinion the Dynon is the best unit for the buck. If money and /or space is not a consideration get the AFS. It is bigger which makes it easier to read and does a few more things.

Larry Dickinson
RV-9A 106 hrs
Dunwoody, GA
KLZU
This is the same set up I have in my -9 and it was easy to connect and they work as advertised.

The ability to connect it with the EFIS was my reason to purchase and install both Dynon units.

Here are some pictures of the units sharing their info:

1) Default mode:

2) Engine info on left side & EFIS info on Right side:

3) Same as #2 but with a warning message

There are more pictures on my panel page of my web site, including the wiring.