Ldom

I'm New Here
Hello gentlemen,

I'm still at the planning stage of my RV-8 and I have a few questions regarding engine maintenance (and costs):

I understand that, as builders, we have the ability to mount non-certified engines. on Van's order forms, the cost difference is about $9K for an IO-360-M1B. Fine.

From there, what are the differences in terms of maintenance? Do we have to get the maintenance done by (certified) mechanics or can we do it ourselves? Also, do the non-certified engines have the same TBO?

Thanks in advance!

Laurent
http://rv8.ldom.net

Welcome!

Laurent,
nice to see more techhies on our forum...goodness knows some of us dinosaurs need a lot of help!

I am not a builder, nor expert, but feel it's pretty safe to say the following; re; Canada

the certificate is a piece of paper. The engine does not know this. IF you take care of it, you can run it indefinitely, there is no overhaul time you must observe.
As far as maintenance, I purchased a flying RV, but am authorized to do 100% of the maintenance, including overhauling the engine, re-building a wing, adding floats, performing and signing off condition inspections etc.
Naturally, if I am not well qualified, I'd be foolish not to enlist AME's to accomplish or assist in this work.
Furthermore, there are some things that you will likely use other technicians for, in practical terms, especially if flying IFR, such as pitot/static/transponder & encoder systems re-certifications.

hope that was helpful......COPA and EAA/RAAC are good sources of info too!.