airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I have a 115TTSN engine that came to me as an IO360B1B, and I've got the logbook for it.

I've modified it considerably, changing the starter, putting on a cold-air sump, a backup alternator, and removing the engine-driven fuel pump. Obviously this is now an experimental engine that will never go back to its "certified" status. My question now is, does it really matter what I write in the engine log as long as it describes accurately what I've done? My thinking was something along the lines of "Engine reconfigured by addition/change of xxxx" and list all the changes, and sign it off myself (non A&P). Is this kosher or do I need something else?

Last edited:
You don't HAVE to write up these changes or even sign what you wrote but it is nice for a future owner to have the history of the engine. You could sign as "Builder" for now. Later "Repairman" when you get the Repairman's Certificate

What Kent said seems correct to me;
However, you need to identify the engine some way when you register the aircraft.
I built my RV-8 with a Mazda rotary, so I had to name it and install a data plate on the engine.
After 16 hours of flying that combination, I decided to go Lycoming and joined IAC to do aerobatics. I got a sweeet !! deal on an IVO-360A1A out of a Brantley helicopter. 100 SMOH.
Same as you, many changes: new Superior sump, AFP injection, aircraft gear case, Oil fill tube, feather weight starter etc etc.
I logged these in the original engine log, verified the oil pump AD was complied, and installed a new crank gear just in case there had ever been a sudden stoppage that hadn't been logged.
I then re-named the engine by preceding the model with (X)
(X) IVO-360A1A
That satisfied the FAA when I updated the aircraft registration form, which seems to be the local interpretation for engine and prop changes.
It should serve the future, as the correct IVO-360A1A specific parts that remain can be sourced as required.

I agree. Just write what you have done. It would also be great to include paperwork for the parts you have bought, especially if they are 8130-3 forms.